Here’s a vegetarian version of stuffed peppers, but with a twist, no rice. Joanna makes a great vegetarian stuffing so she thought, why not make stuffed peppers with it? I thought it would be a boring stuffed pepper with no meat and no rice, but I was willing to try it - and as it turns out, I was wrong. It was delicious. Kali Orexi!
- 4 bell peppers, assorted colors, tops removed and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 package white mushrooms, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Kefalotyri (if you can’t find Kefalotyri, you can use Parmesan), plus more to sprinkle as topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Wrap the peppers in foil, and bake in the oven until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions, mushrooms and celery.
- Sauté until tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat and fold in the grated cheese.
- Mix until well combined and somewhat forms.
- Spoon the mixture into the cooled peppers.
- Transfer the peppers to a baking dish and top with a little grated cheese. Bake until the peppers are heated through, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve.