This is an honest-to-goodness amazing recipe that you will not be disappointed once you have it on your plate!
Yield: Makes about 18 patties
- 3 cups coarsely grated zucchini (from about 4 small)
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup (or more) all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tsp. dried mint
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 cup shallots finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (about) olive oil
For the Feta Tzatziki:
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup imported feta, crumbled
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- a dash of salt and pepper
- Toss zucchini and 1/2 teaspoon salt in large bowl.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- While you’re waiting, prepare the tzatziki. Simply mix the yogurt, feta, garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper. Place in refrigerator.
- Now take the zucchini and transfer to sieve, pressing out excess liquid; or as I do, place in salad spinner and spin the water out!
- Place zucchini in dry bowl.
- Mix in egg, yolk, 1/2 cup flour, feta and 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Mix in parsley, shallots, mint, and oregano. If batter is very wet, add more flour by spoonfuls.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Working in batches, drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into skillet.
- Fry patties until golden, 5 minutes per side, adding more olive oil as needed.
- Transfer to paper towels.
DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Place on baking sheet, cover, and chill. Rewarm uncovered in 350°F oven 12 minutes.
Serve with feta tzatzik! Kalh orexi!