1 - 6 of 6 Posts

xmelissaa

I love watching these types of convos! :) Enjoy and tell me what you think

Reactions: paharo45

paharo45

JayJayT

Although I am enamored with Ancient Greek history, I am slowly getting more and more intrigued by the country's modern history. Thanks for sharing this!

Reactions: kcixcy

kcixcy

Although I am enamored with Ancient Greek history, I am slowly getting more and more intrigued by the country's modern history. Thanks for sharing this!
I would have to agree with you, especially since the modern history has the most impact on modern Greek culture today

JayJayT

I would have to agree with you, especially since the modern history has the most impact on modern Greek culture today
That's an excellent point - the period of time from the Greek War for Independence onward is especially intriguing. Even more interesting is the role ancient history plays in modern Greece!

Reactions: dubai_suzie

dubai_suzie

That's an excellent point - the period of time from the Greek War for Independence onward is especially intriguing. Even more interesting is the role ancient history plays in modern Greece!
So true. That's really when Greece began forming itself as its own country

Did you know that a Greek of Alexandria invented the steam engine?

What’s interesting about Hero’s invention is that he created it well before the Industrial Revolution that took place in parts of the world in the 1700’s and 1800’s. This means that the Ancient Greeks were capable of advanced mathematical, scientific, and mechanical thought, which enabled them to see the world differently. This was a huge advancement in society.

steam-engine-720x593.jpg

Does your family have any personal stories from the Pontos?

I’ve heard a lot about the struggles Pontians have faced throughout Greek history and was wondering if any of your families have personal stories to share on this forum.

Here is a little bit about the Greek parliament

This is the history of the Greek parliament: The Hellenic Parliament has been around for almost 180 years, meaning that it has been around for two world wars, multiple civil wars, military dictatorships, and occupations. In 1862, there was a massive rebellion against King Otto in Greece, and the revolt marked the end of the constitutional monarchy. The new leader formed a constitution in 1864, which created a single-chamber Parliament.

Greek-Parliament-720x481.jpeg

Weird Ancient Greek superstitions

Did you know that some Ancient Greeks wouldn't eat beans because they said they contained the souls of dead people....eeek! Do you know of any other superstitions?

I love Byzantine architecture and history!

I feel like byzantine architecture and history is the essence of Greece. It's buildings like these that I absolutely love and instantly make me think of Greek culture :)

byzantine-greece-720x540.jpeg
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter