1 - 11 of 11 Posts

xmelissaa

I love watching these types of convos! :) Enjoy and tell me what you think

Reactions: paharo45

paharo45

JayJayT

Although I am enamored with Ancient Greek history, I am slowly getting more and more intrigued by the country's modern history. Thanks for sharing this!

Reactions: kcixcy

kcixcy

Although I am enamored with Ancient Greek history, I am slowly getting more and more intrigued by the country's modern history. Thanks for sharing this!
I would have to agree with you, especially since the modern history has the most impact on modern Greek culture today

JayJayT

I would have to agree with you, especially since the modern history has the most impact on modern Greek culture today
That's an excellent point - the period of time from the Greek War for Independence onward is especially intriguing. Even more interesting is the role ancient history plays in modern Greece!

Reactions: dubai_suzie

dubai_suzie

That's an excellent point - the period of time from the Greek War for Independence onward is especially intriguing. Even more interesting is the role ancient history plays in modern Greece!
So true. That's really when Greece began forming itself as its own country

JayJayT

Reactions: dubai_suzie

dubai_suzie

That's true! Prior to that Greece was grouped regionally.
I wish some of the regional cultures weren't dying out, that's some of my favorite parts of Greek culture

JayJayT

I wish some of the regional cultures weren't dying out, that's some of my favorite parts of Greek culture
That's sad to me, that they're dying out. People maybe are moving away from the islands to find work, taking their culture with them?

Reactions: seleanor

seleanor

That's sad to me, that they're dying out. People maybe are moving away from the islands to find work, taking their culture with them?
I think it also has to do with the fact that most of the media comes from Athens so the culture is more uniform in Greece. This is happening in many countries around the world as well. It might also be nationalism. Greece probably wants the country to be more unified so its more powerful

k_tsoukalas

I think it also has to do with the fact that most of the media comes from Athens so the culture is more uniform in Greece. This is happening in many countries around the world as well. It might also be nationalism. Greece probably wants the country to be more unified so its more powerful
This is fascinating - there are other countries where a similar unification happened, like in Germany in the 1800's. Each state was its own country at one time. There definitely is strength in numbers, and the unification can also be cultural, as well.

The statue of Kolokotronis

Built in 1895, the statue of Kolokotronis stands in Athens near the public university. The statue was built in honor of him and his victory in the independence from the Ottoman Empire in liberating Greece. He is known as one of the most famous figures in Greek history, and one of the pivotal figures in creating the modern Greece that we know of today. There are many monuments of him all over the country, but the one in Athens is perhaps the most iconic. I recommend that you visit if you’re in the area.

These are the best history museums in Greece

Greece has some of the best museums of history museums in the world! And amazing opportunities to see history up close in archaic relics like the Parthenon and Epidavros. These are the best history museums in my opinion, but please let me know your favorites!

- Acropolis Museum
- Heraklion Archeological Museum
- Museum of Byzantine Culture
- National Archeological Museum

Did you know about Ukraines historical Greek community?

Greeks are all over the world! Even in Ukraine, making them more vulnerable to the war that is going on right now between Ukraine and Russia. This Greek minority has been in Ukraine since Ionians came from the city of Miletus in Asia Minor in around 7th century BC. They settled in an area called Mariupul which as named after the Virgin Mary. Over time these Greeks developed their own culture and dialects, but unfortunately many have been forced to leave ever since the war.

Here is how Ancient Greeks celebrated the summer solstice

Perhaps this will give you some inspiration for your own celebration of the solstice! In many different ancient societies, solstices are an extremely important, including Ancient Greece. To celebrate the solstice, the ancient Greeks held a festival each year. The summer solstice was also used as a signifier as to win the Olympic games would be held.

Trailer for Smyrna, Greek American historical drama

I am so excited to see this movie! It beautifully depicts the crisis of Smyrna, and shows the lives of those that were affected by the genocide. Let me know what you think of this trailer, and if you're thinking to watch it as well. I'm currently trying to find a link for the full movie online, but having some trouble.

Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter