1 - 5 of 5 Posts

dimi_pat

This TV show is making waves in Greece! It is a drama about the military junta that happened in the 1960's and 70's in Greece and shows the lives of different families who are with and against the government. It is a good show to watch with family (older kids) to learn about Greek history and culture. There is a bit of politics and a bit of romance so everyone can watch and be captivated. The show airs on ANT1!

Vangelis

Thanks for letting us know what this is all about. I thought this was more of a soapie so I wasn't too interested in it. Based on your recommendation I will start watching it.

Reactions: seleanor

seleanor

Thanks for letting us know what this is all about. I thought this was more of a soapie so I wasn't too interested in it. Based on your recommendation I will start watching it.
I've seen a few episodes, it is similar to a soap opera because it is a drama but I think it is pretty unique and unlike a typical Greek soap opera. Definitely worth a watch

seleanor

I can't find a real trailer, but this shows some scenes from the second season so you can get an idea (spoilers might be included)

k_tsoukalas

My first impression was more of the same ... a soap opera. But, it looks like it's more of a drama than a soap opera so might be a good one!

Can you pass this Greek geography quiz?

I'm so curious to see how much everyone knows about Greek geography. Personally, I know very little so it's super interesting to see how actual Greeks did with these questions.

Learn about the history of Cyprus 🇨🇾

As with all Greek territories, Cyprus has undergone many changes of power throughout history, starting from the ancient times. The first change of power came with the Phoenicians followed by the Persian empire. After approximately 200 years of Persian occupation, Alexander the Great took control of Cyprus. Cyprus was then a part of the Byzantine empire, as was all of Greece, until it was occupied by the British Empire, and then the Ottoman Empire (as with all of Greece as well). After Greece and Cyprus became independent from Ottoman rule, Cyprus was then again conquered by the British until it became independent in 1960. As you can see, the history is a long list of changes in power, leaving Cyprus with thousands of years of occupation and control. This is an unfortunate truth, but something that is important that we should be aware of.

Were Antiochus I of Commagene and Antiochus I Soter related?

I am super confused between these two as I have read that Antiochus I of Commagene was the one who had built Mount Nemrut(Turkey) but when I read the history and properties of the king who had built the Mount Nemrut, it is more likely "Antiochus I Soter" or his son "Antiochus II Theo" because they both had "God complex" , they were called King of the Universe and Theo(God) respectively.

Moreover, Antiochus I of Commagene and Antiochus I Soter don't seem to be related if I track their family line and they seem to rule slightly different areas but the heritage and family attributes that local Turkish guides provide about the king that is associated with Mount Nemrut is more similar to the Antiochus I Soter or his Son Antiochus II Theo. But is their any chance that Antiochus I of Commagene is related to the aforementioned Kings, like could they be his ancestors or something?

I have found not much information online as the Turkish websites either attribute the king as simply Antiochus I or Antiochus I of Commagene Theo which is absolutely wrong because no King having name Antiochus I had title Theo in the history.

If anyone could provide the clarity with a little background, I would be really grateful.

These are some of the most famous Greek historical figures

Because Greece has such a long history, there are so many historical figures to choose from.... from ancient Greeks to modern artists. This is my personal list, and please let me know what you think and add some of your favorites. Also, keep in mind that these are listed in no particular order!

-Plato
-Aristotle
-Kolokotronis
-Onassis
-Socrates
-Alexander the Great
-Kazantzakis
-Constantinos Cavafis
-Mixalis Theodorakis

Well,at last hope commences!

Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter