1 - 5 of 5 Posts

dimi_pat

This TV show is making waves in Greece! It is a drama about the military junta that happened in the 1960's and 70's in Greece and shows the lives of different families who are with and against the government. It is a good show to watch with family (older kids) to learn about Greek history and culture. There is a bit of politics and a bit of romance so everyone can watch and be captivated. The show airs on ANT1!

Vangelis

Thanks for letting us know what this is all about. I thought this was more of a soapie so I wasn't too interested in it. Based on your recommendation I will start watching it.

Reactions: seleanor

seleanor

Thanks for letting us know what this is all about. I thought this was more of a soapie so I wasn't too interested in it. Based on your recommendation I will start watching it.
I've seen a few episodes, it is similar to a soap opera because it is a drama but I think it is pretty unique and unlike a typical Greek soap opera. Definitely worth a watch

seleanor

I can't find a real trailer, but this shows some scenes from the second season so you can get an idea (spoilers might be included)

k_tsoukalas

My first impression was more of the same ... a soap opera. But, it looks like it's more of a drama than a soap opera so might be a good one!

The history of dressing for apokries (Greek carnival)

Apokries is the Greek carnival that happens right before Holy Lent, so it changes every year. It is sort of similar to Halloween....but not really. Comparing it to Halloween is really the best way to describe it to someone who is from a country that does not have this celebration. Dressing up in costumes is a practice that dates all the way back to Ancient Greece and was then incorporated to celebrate the Orthodox period before lent. Many different areas of Greece have specific costumes that people will usually dress up as. But for the most part, people can dress up as pretty much anything they want.

What is the most debated topic in Greek history?

I'd love to start a couple of debates and great conversations! I'm definitely not looking for a fight, just trying to have some engaging conversations. What are the biggest debates that you and your friends or family get into about Greek history?

The uninhabited island of Delos hosts its first concert in thousands of years!

The island of Delos has been uninhabited since the ancient times. In Greek mythology, it is considered to be the birthplace of Apollo. The island is full of ancient Greek history, and it now stands as an archeological site that people can visit near the island of Mykonos. In just about a week, there will be a concert which will bring musicians from around the world to hold a special concert on the island. I have my fingers crossed that we'll see more and more of these performances over time, and the tourists will be able to visit the site and see some more parts of modern Greek culture like this concert.

"Cloudy Sunday" or "Ouzeri Tsitsanis" is a fantastic Greek film about love during Nazi occupation

This is one of Greece's best historical time piece films. The story follows a love between a Christian boy and a Jewish girl during the Nazi occupation in Greece. The story of occupation is not widely known around the world, but it is something very near and dear to Greek peoples hearts. It was a very dark time during Greece history, and the effects of the occupation were very strong, especially on the countries Jewish and Roma population. Let me know if you like this film.

What is the difference between the Roman and Byzantine empire?

This is something that has always confused me. I've seen people use the words Roman and Byzantine interchangeably, but I'm pretty sure that the Roman empire was led by the Italians, and the Byzantine empire by the Greeks/Romans. Does anyone see my confusion here? And is someone able to clarify?
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter