1 - 7 of 7 Posts

dpappas87

What do you guys prefer when you're traveling to Greece? I plan on visiting Athens and Zakynthos this year. Any advice on which is better in your experience?

Great question!

Few years ago my family and I went to Zakynthos and Athens and used an Airbnb and had a great experience!

I would say it depends if you want a place to cook and wash clothes then Airbnb in Greece works. If you want to not cook at all want to use a laundry service, pool and gym then a hotel would be a good fit.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: efhernandez_
Airbnb always! I feel like they're more worth it and much more comfortable to stay in. If you're traveling in a big group you can get a bigger airbnb and split the price between everyone and it'll be more worth it.

Airbnb always! I feel like they're more worth it and much more comfortable to stay in. If you're traveling in a big group you can get a bigger airbnb and split the price between everyone and it'll be more worth it.
I agree with you. We were a party of 13 and stayed at AirBnB for mosst of the 3 weeks in different parts of Greece, except for our stay in Athens and Delphi. The owners and or their agents could not have been nicer often leaving fruit baskets for the group. But if you research hotels and apartments you can get some really good deals at the smaller places. We stayed away from the large commercial places. Thef next time we went we stayed outside of Alexandria in an AirBnB in the little town of Kymina which is about 40 minutes by bus west of Thessaloniki.

Reactions: nadellii
I hear that there are some great AirBnBs in Greece, though I have never done it. I tend to stay in hotels and resorts, and that seems to suit my needs. It depends on who I am traveling with - I would prefer an AirBnB if I were traveling with a big group of friends, but with my family I tend to prefer a hotel.

We had great success with Air B & B's in Greece staying in Delphi, Santorini, Crete and Corinth

I agree with you. We were a party of 13 and stayed at AirBnB for mosst of the 3 weeks in different parts of Greece, except for our stay in Athens and Delphi. The owners and or their agents could not have been nicer often leaving fruit baskets for the group. But if you research hotels and apartments you can get some really good deals at the smaller places. We stayed away from the large commercial places. Thef next time we went we stayed outside of Alexandria in an AirBnB in the little town of Kymina which is about 40 minutes by bus west of Thessaloniki.
Kymina is beautiful! AirBnb's are always how I find hidden gems in Greece because many local Greeks rent their summer homes on Airbnb which are usually in smaller and more remote beach towns. If you want to go to classic tourist spots...get a hotel. But if you're looking to experience authentic Greek spots that are more lowkey then Airbnb can be great

Visit the Cyclades Islands - Information and Tips?

I am thinking of visiting some of the Cyclades islands this summer. I've, of course, already done Santorini and Mykonos. I want to do something a bit different.

I am thinking of the following:

- Tinos
- Naxos
- Milos
- Paros

I have some questions:

- When is the best time to visit? I am thinking of going in September.
- Should I ferry hop? That's probably the best way, right?
- How do I figure out where to stay? I love Airbnb - is that an option in Greece?

Thanks in advance!

Beaches on Agistri or Spetses?

I am thinking of visiting some of the islands that are fairly close to Athens/Piraeus.

Two of them that you don't hear much about - like Agistri and Spetses - but I heard that they are worth it to visit, especially for the beaches, especially for Agistri.

Which do you prefer?

I have heard about some beaches on Agistri, but not sure what is available in Spetses.

Here are the beaches I heard about in Agistri:

- Aponissos beach - The beach's calm, crystalline waters and soft golden sands offer a perfect respite for swimmers and sunbathers. Surrounded by greenery and rock formations, the charming cove provides a breathtaking backdrop for a day by the sea.

- Skala Beach - he beach is lined with beach chairs and umbrellas available to rent, as well as a variety of water sports to try. The village behind the beach is packed with tavernas, bars, and shops, offering an array of dining and entertainment options for your holiday.

What do you guys think?

skala-beach.jpg

Last-minute travel tips in Greece

I love to travel to Greece and I do so whenever I can. There's an art to it, though, and I am never really going into it "blind". It's a good idea to start by thinking generally about where you might want to go.

Athens is usually the starting point for most travelers, with its iconic Acropolis offering panoramic views and a history lesson all in one spot. If you're a beach lover, head towards the Cyclades for stunning beaches and the classic, postcard-worthy Santorini sunsets. Or, if it's history you're after, the ruins of Delphi or the ancient city of Mycenae will surely captivate you.

Then, we need to figure out how to get where we want to go. For island hopping, the ferries are an experience in themselves – though if you're time-strapped, consider a local flight to get you to the major islands quickly. On the mainland, a mix of car rentals and public transport can be efficient and economical, especially when visiting sites off the tourist map. Keep an eye on the schedules and book in advance if possible to save time.

Sometimes I rent a car, to be honest it's the easiest for me.

The rest of the details tend to sort themselves out. For example, you can book your lodging as you go along, especially off-peak.

Sustainable Travel to Greece?

I'm currently planning a trip to Greece and am passionate about making my travel as sustainable and eco-friendly as possible. Given the beauty and historical significance of Greece, I want to ensure that my visit contributes positively to the environment and local communities there.

Does anyone have any tips or experiences they could share on sustainable travel practices in Greece? I'm looking for advice on everything from eco-friendly accommodations, sustainable dining options, to ways of exploring the country that minimize my carbon footprint. Also, if there are specific activities or tours that support local conservation efforts or communities, I'd love to hear about those too!

When does tourist season end in Greece?

I am planning my next Greek trip.

I want to go in October but the people I am traveling with - we won't be able to to go until mid-October.

I have been to Crete that late in the year and to Athens, but not anywhere else. On our schedule is to visit some of the smaller islands, like Hydra.

Do places like that shut down? My main concern is, will the tourist shops be closed? I love to browse through them and it's part of my enjoyment.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back