1 - 2 of 2 Posts

greek_ggirl

If you know Greek music, you know that Vasilis is an absolute beast when it comes to the clarinet. This is a very special clip because he is doing clarinet improvisation, something that is highly regarded by musicians across the world. And when you're able to improv this good, it really showcases your talent. Bravo to Vasilis, I can listen to this clip for hours. I highly suggest that if you like this, you check out the rest of his music as well, he is one of Greece's most famous clarinet players.

k_tsoukalas

He has so much talent! This is so beautiful... thanks for sharing!

What is this that we call love? Sung by Sophia Loren

This is one of the most iconic Greek songs from cinema. The lyrics translate to "what is this that we call love." It is sung by the famous Italian actress Sophia Loren in a very popular American movie called Boy on a Dolphin that is set in Greece. Her voice is absolutely incredible, and her Greek is even better. This is a true masterpiece that all hellenophiles should know about!

Major differences between Greek and American weddings

Obviously, the main difference is that Greek weddings are usually held in a Greek orthodox church. But besides many of the religious and cultural factors, there are a few main differences that will probably stick out to any American people. The first is that Greek people do not have groomsmen or bridesmaids. The second, is that the wedding is not only about the couple, but the families as well. In Greek culture, the bride and grooms family are very involved in the wedding and it is considered a joining of their two families as well. Lastly, one of the major differences that I have noticed is that because the ceremony is a religious ceremony, it is not as personalized as American weddings where the couple exchanges vows.

How formal are Greek weddings usually?

I'm going to a Greek wedding this summer as someone's plus one, and I really have no idea how to dress for the wedding. My date isn't really giving me a lot of advice, and she doesn't usually go to a lot of Greek weddings herself, so I'm a bit clueless. If anyone could give me advice on how formal Greek weddings usually are, I would really appreciate it.

Did you know that many Greek people dont have registries for their weddings?

Registries are not a common phenomenon in Greece, and I’m not too sure why. Ever since I’ve been going to weddings, people wil just for envelopes of cash or checks. This is super normal in Greek culture and is considered much easier than either but gifts that people don’t need or setting up an entire registry. On top of that, many older Greek people are not super tech savvy and it would be difficult for them to navigate an online registry. Just something to know when attending any Greek weddings!

Listen to this beautiful song covered by Xaris Alexiou

Xaris Alexiou does a beautiful rendition of the song Barbagiannakakis. It seems that this video clips from a movie, so if anyone knows where it's from I would really appreciate it. I believe the song was originally written and sung by Andonis Diamantidis but I could be wrong, since many songs have just been passed around. This particular piece is a classic from Asia Minor.

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter