1 - 4 of 4 Posts

kcixcy

Tfisteteli is probably one of the most fun dances that you can ever participate in at a Greek party! It's so easy to do, all you really need to do is move your hips to the beat of the music. This is one of my favourite tsifteteli videos! Bravo to the talented singer and to the dancer Elissavet, lots of kefi in this dance.

greggd12

Tfisteteli is probably one of the most fun dances that you can ever participate in at a Greek party! It's so easy to do, all you really need to do is move your hips to the beat of the music. This is one of my favourite tsifteteli videos! Bravo to the talented singer and to the dancer Elissavet, lots of kefi in this dance.

So talented!!

Deborah

Tsifteteli was the “crazy” reason I first went to Greece because I was studying dance in Boston….love this video!

k_tsoukalas

This dance is amazing - one of my favorites. The video was so fun!

Greek Government Tradition of not being helpful, so how does one move ahead?

Hi everyone, I live in Canada. Trying to renew my very outdated Greek passport here in Vancouver and no matter what paperwork I send the Greek consulate, they ignore it all and pretend they know nothing and ask the same questions again and again. This has been going on now for over 2 months. I thought I would post this here as part of Greeks legendary bureaucracy for a few laughs, but seriously, any thoughts on how to proceed?

Koufeta or boubounieres are the most popular Greek wedding favors

Koufeta which are also called boubounieres are Greek wedding and baptism favors. They are usually nuts covered in chocolate and wrapped in soul with a ribbon. The candies are usually white or pastel colored. They are handed out as a favour at the end of the wedding or baptism, and as a way to say thank you or remember the wedding or baptism. I see more and more families being a bit more creative with their favorites. Last year I went to a wedding where a small jars of honey or hand it out, it was very neat.

What to do when you’re invited to a Greek persons house

For those who aren’t Greek, there is a lot of etiquette that goes behind visiting peoples houses. First off, it is considered very normal to invite someone over to your house. You don’t need to know them very well, and it is considered a kind gesture. When you get invited to someone’s house, expect them to offer you food, desserts, or drinks. It is also expected for you to bring something. This can be desserts or wine usually. After you leave their house, it is also customary for you to invite them to your own house.

How formal are Greek weddings usually?

I'm going to a Greek wedding this summer as someone's plus one, and I really have no idea how to dress for the wedding. My date isn't really giving me a lot of advice, and she doesn't usually go to a lot of Greek weddings herself, so I'm a bit clueless. If anyone could give me advice on how formal Greek weddings usually are, I would really appreciate it.

What a Greek adult baptism looks like

Many adults will get baptized into the Greek Orthodox Church, whether for marriage reasons or because they discovered the religion and fell in love with it. The adult baptism process can be intimidating, and many don't know what the process actually entails. It is not very different from the baptism of a baby, since the process is religiously the same. Here is a video of the ceremony of an adult :)

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter