1 - 4 of 4 Posts

xmelissaa

Is making koulouri a simple matter of making a regular bread dough and then forming it into rings? I loooove koulouri when I go to Greece, and I am unfortunately not always able to get to Greece. I need a way to make this at home.

I love the type with the sesame seeds, and I also love the sweet ones. How do you make those? Can I make like a tsoureki but form it into instead?

When I make koulouri I just use whichever bread recipe I am in the mood for, and then form it into rings instead of loaves. I like to brush it with an egg wash and then sprinkle sesame seeds - I do this before cooking. The egg wash helps the sesame seeds stick.

Reactions: xmelissaa

PemiKanavos

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Ladies,
The traditional recipe for koulouri asks to dip the ring in a honey water of grape must water before sprinkling with sesame seeds.
We have a great koulouri recipe in our Cooking Greek cookbook, if you would like to check it out.

k_tsoukalas

I always use an egg wash! I like the idea of using honey water or grape molasses mixed with water to do it - I bet it gives it a nice flavor.

Reactions: xmelissaa

Can someone help me make fasolakia?

I recently had a mishap while making fasolakia. The beans all fell apart. I am assuming I overcooked the beans but I am not sure because I have cooked the dish this long in the past without issues.

What was different about this time is I decided to put potatoes in it to make it a bit heartier for winter. Should I have not done this? Maybe I really cooked it longer than I thought because of the potatoes?

"Greek-Style" Chicken Wings Question...

It is football playoff season and I want to eat wings! I thought I would try to mix it up and create a Greek style wings situation ... so I decided to use ladolemono (oil and lemon with garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, some onion). I marinate the wings in a bag overnight, then actually fired up the grill and cooked them.

They were delicious, but weren't crispy. I actually don't usually make wings, I buy them, so I have no idea how to make wings crispy. Other than that, they tasted amazing and I would do this again.

Simple Greek Desserts to Try?

I am not a baker really but I love eating sweets, in small amounts, after dinner.

I am trying to find some recipes! Does anyone have a good recipe for that chocolate cracker log thing? I have heard it called "Salami" and also "mosaiko". It has crackers (or biscuit cookies really), cocoa powder, there ingredients I forget. I watched someone make it once...

Also, I do eat fruit, dried fruit, Greek yogurt with honey, etc for dessert sometimes. Any other ideas?

Making Greek Fish Soup with the Heads?

I was just reminiscing in another thread about how my family would use the fish heads (less expensive at the fish market when they were immigrants) to make Greek Fish Soup. I don't remember how my family made it!

I don't remember if they maybe made the broth first, took out what meat the could from the fish, and then added there fish if they could find it?

Has anyone made fish soup using the heads of the fish?

Making Greek baked beans advice...

I saw a recipe for Greek baked beans in tomato sauce and I want to make it.

It calls for dried gigantes beans, which I can't find. Can I use any dried bean? I was thinking dried, white lima beans. I also think I read in another thread that someone here uses butter beans? Can I use canned beans? That would make things so much easier...
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube