1 - 4 of 4 Posts

xmelissaa

Is making koulouri a simple matter of making a regular bread dough and then forming it into rings? I loooove koulouri when I go to Greece, and I am unfortunately not always able to get to Greece. I need a way to make this at home.

I love the type with the sesame seeds, and I also love the sweet ones. How do you make those? Can I make like a tsoureki but form it into instead?

When I make koulouri I just use whichever bread recipe I am in the mood for, and then form it into rings instead of loaves. I like to brush it with an egg wash and then sprinkle sesame seeds - I do this before cooking. The egg wash helps the sesame seeds stick.

Reactions: xmelissaa

PemiKanavos

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Ladies,
The traditional recipe for koulouri asks to dip the ring in a honey water of grape must water before sprinkling with sesame seeds.
We have a great koulouri recipe in our Cooking Greek cookbook, if you would like to check it out.

k_tsoukalas

Administrator
I always use an egg wash! I like the idea of using honey water or grape molasses mixed with water to do it - I bet it gives it a nice flavor.

Reactions: xmelissaa

What are your favorite Greek olives?

I love Kalamata olives but I am trying to branch out to different ones. Which Greek olives do you like best? I did some research about the different types:

Kalamata Olives: Perhaps the most renowned Greek olives, Kalamatas, are recognized by their dark purple color and almond shape. They are often preserved in wine vinegar or olive oil, which further accentuates their rich and fruity flavor.

Halkidiki Olives: These are large, pale green olives from the Halkidiki region of Northern Greece. Known for their crisp flesh and slightly peppery taste, Halkidiki olives are commonly stuffed with various fillings, from feta cheese to almonds, making them a good choice for appetizers.

Amfissa Olives: Cultivated primarily in Central Greece, near the ancient oracle of Delphi, Amfissa olives can range in color from green to black, depending on their ripeness. They have a mild, slightly sweet flavor and a meaty texture.

Throumba Olives: Unique to the island of Thassos, these olives are naturally sun-dried on the tree. They have a wrinkled appearance and a savory taste with a hint of vinegar, due to their natural fermentation.

I have never had any of these olives other than Kalamata and I am sure there are others, too.

greek-olives.jpg

Using Greek Manouri Cheese I Found

I tried Manouri cheese for the first time after finding it at a local Greek store.

For those who aren't familiar, manouri is a semisoft, fresh white whey cheese made in Greece from goat or sheep milk. It's got this incredibly creamy texture with a hint of tanginess that pairs beautifully with honey or preserved fruits.

Have any of you tried it? And if so, what are your favorite ways to enjoy it? I've had it crumbled over a Greek salad, and it was delightful, but I'm on the hunt for more suggestions. I tried it in Tiropita, too, and it gave the filling an interesting flavor. I liked it. What else can I do?

Favorite Greek healthy foods

The first month of the new year is over and I still don't feel like I have a handle on healthy eating. It was one of my goals for the year! I eat far too much junk and when I sit down for a meal, it's a little more decadent than it should be for me to lose the ten pounds I gained since last summer.

I thought I'd make a list of some of my favorite Greek foods I plan to eat to slim things down a bit.

Greek Salad

Starting with the basics, a Greek salad is a combination of sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, green bell peppers, red onion, olives, and feta cheese, typically seasoned with salt and oregano and dressed with olive oil. It’s a dish packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidant-rich vegetables.

Horta and Hortopita

Hortopita, or wild greens pie, is a savory dish filled with a variety of nutritious greens like spinach, kale, chard, and dandelion greens. I can dial back on the cheese to make it healthier.

I also love Horta, or boiled greens. maybe I can steam it instead of boil and then use less olive oil than I normally would have.

Souvlaki

Traditionally served in pita bread with tzatziki, souvlaki can be made with chicken, pork, or lamb skewers, and they’re often grilled. High in protein and light on carbs, it’s perfect for a post-workout meal. As far as meat dishes goes, this one is on the lighter side and I can primarily choose chicken to trim things down a bit.

Baklava Crumble for Cheesecake

I know that this isn't a traditionally Greek dish, just Greek inspired, but we have fun with it in my family.

You take a regular cheesecake recipe (the kind you have to bake), prepare it, and set it aside while prepping the baklava part.

Brush the cheesecake pan with better. Line it with a few sheets of phyllo - I eyeball it - and then brush it with butter. You want Mayne 3-4 layers of phyllo but make sure the pan is covered.

Prepare the nut filling of 2 cups ground nuts, 1/2 cup sugar, and about a teaspoon or more of cinnamon (I eyeball it) in a bowl. Sprinkle over the phyllo. Pour the cheesecake filling over it, and bake the cheesecake as directed in the recipe.

When about to serve, prepare a simple syrup with honey, water, sugar, orange zest, and honey. You'll need about a cup of syrup.

baklava-cheesecake.jpg

Greek pita bread?

I like to make gyros at home but I am having a heck of a time finding the right bread for it where I live.

There is a store near me but they haven't been getting the bread I normally use in.

I thought maybe I would make my own - but I am not the best bread maker. I also don't trust recipes I see.

I don't want it to be the wrong kind of bread. I want it to be soft. I guess I have two questions -

1. maybe I can buy the bread online? Do you know where? and 2. Do you have a recipe you can recommend?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT