1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Hash

When I saw Tanks on the streets up and down Paleo Faliro and Athens Airport it was a normal way of life....I was too young to realise the implications of what was really going on..

• Sad
Reactions: Vangelis

Vangelis

I remember seeing a tank at the Athens airport in 1973. I remember thinking that was odd but was too young to realise the full implications of what was going on in Greece. Definitely a dark time for Greece.

dubai_suzie

I remember seeing a tank at the Athens airport in 1973. I remember thinking that was odd but was too young to realise the full implications of what was going on in Greece. Definitely a dark time for Greece.
Thats so scary...I've heard many stories like this as well. There is a famous movie about the junta called "To Tango too Christougenoun" or "The Christmas Tango"

Hash

If I remember the US Army tanks also were cruising up and down Glyfada and Voula where we had a Clubhotel for our subsidiary Club 18/30,Tour Operator for the younger generation and I used to bring LPs and Vinyls from London for the music on rooftop disco.🎵..... Santana,Pink Floyd,Bob Marley, Rolling Stones...Credence Clear Water Revival, Eric Clapton, ....Doors....the list is too long.... Just imagine all this fun and dark times for a country I fell in love with....and that love is Eternal.♥️♥️🇬🇷🇬🇷🇬🇷.... Kalley Mera.

Last edited:

Vangelis

If I remember the US Army tanks also were cruising up and down Glyfada and Voula where we had a Clubhotel for our subsidiary Club 18/30,Tour Operator for the younger generation and I used to bring LPs and Vinyls from London for the music on rooftop disco.🎵..... Santana,Pink Floyd,Bob Marley, Rolling Stones...Credence Clear Water Revival, Eric Clapton, ....Doors....the list is too long.... Just imagine all this fun and dark times for a country I fell in love with....and that love is Eternal.♥️♥️🇬🇷🇬🇷🇬🇷.... Kalley Mera.
You played some good music! A pity the beach bars play pop trash these days...

Reactions: Hash

Hash

You played some good music! A pity the beach bars play pop trash these days...
Aw thank you!!♥️♥️....I know what you mean....electro wow wow music as I call it in this computer age,in those days one had to play the lead guitar,the bass and rhythm, drums and percussions....Nice to remember my youth here,Plaka was really cool in those days, unbelievable atmosphere after my duties in Mallorca, Greece was so different and diverse, bouzouki in Syntagma Square and Filoxenia ouzo and olives Mezedez...the Hippie culture at the American Express Building...👌...

paharo45

Aw thank you!!♥️♥️....I know what you mean....electro wow wow music as I call it in this computer age,in those days one had to play the lead guitar,the bass and rhythm, drums and percussions....Nice to remember my youth here,Plaka was really cool in those days, unbelievable atmosphere after my duties in Mallorca, Greece was so different and diverse, bouzouki in Syntagma Square and Filoxenia ouzo and olives Mezedez...the Hippie culture at the American Express Building...👌...
I love bouzouki music, I get so sad when I go to Greece and all they're playing is top 40 pop music from the states

Reactions: Hash

Hash

I love bouzouki music, I get so sad when I go to Greece and all they're playing is top 40 pop music from the states
Me too, first time I heard it when Asteri was just opened back in 72/73!!.... They were smashing plates and chucking loads of flowers on the singers....it blew my mind that music like this made people happy and escape from the realities around them....Then I was introduced to Nana Mouskouri and my love for Greek music began... Believe it or not we played a lot of Greek music back in those days... After Flamenco in Spain this was such a pleasant surprise and very new to me!....In Mykonos when we were totally crazy we made an Ekdhromi .... Going to all the Bouzouki bars in one night!!!!.....Can you imagine how much alcohol was consumed and how many plates were smashed?..... Finishing at dawn, took 2 days to recover!😂😂😂😢..... Kalley Mera from Thailand..

April 21st, 1967: Greek Junta Places Country in Shackles!

When I saw Tanks on the streets up and down Paleo Faliro and Athens Airport it was a normal way of life....I was too young to realise the implications of what was really going on..

The Greek debt crisis explained

Im not sure if this is the best representation because im not an economist, but just something to help others get a better idea of what happened in 2008 and what Greece is recovering from. We've been through a lot as a culture and a country but we've remained so strong!

Who was Constantine the Great?

Constantine the Great was an emperor of the Roman Empire from 306 until his death in 337. He is criticized and praised by many, but he is an important figure in history nonetheless. He has a lot of military and religious significance. He is known for being the first Christian emperor and also during this time, Greece was part of the Roman Empire.

Constantine-the-Great-720x480.jpg

Theodoros Kolokotronis was the leader of Greek independence

I remember learning about Kolokotronis in Greek school. He was one of the most pivotal figures in the Greek independence movement. He was a general, politician, and a leading advisor to the Greek independence movement. If anyone has any documentaries about him, please share I would love to watch them

Theodoros-Kolokotronis-720x971.jpg

Historical interview of Anatolian immigrants to Greece

These people were Greeks who lived in Anatolia (modern day Turkey) and were forced to immigrate to Greece as refugees. Their history is so important to modern Greek history, I hope it doesn't get lost.

Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter