1 - 3 of 3 Posts

redsoxdw_

As I've posted before, I've been looking to retire in Greece. Kind of hard when I don't speak Greek though, so Id like to make a couple of American, Canadian, UK, or Australian friends who speak English. I'll be in Athens for a while, does anyone know if there are any spots where foreigners hang out?

Reactions: nm1999

Vangelis

One thing you can do is join Greek classes. They are cheap in Greece and you will meet many expats from all around the world, I'm sure.

Reactions: Hash and nm1999

nm1999

Reactions: Hash

Tips on making your trip to the Acropolis kid friendly!

Many activities in Greece can be kid friendly, as long as you make some minor adjustments. The acropolis is a great place to visit but it can get a bit tiring for young kids who don't like being in the sun or walking up a lot of stairs. My first recommendation is to go very early in the morning, or late afternoon when there is not a lot of sun. Make sure the little ones are wearing hats and sunscreen and they are very hydrated. I suggest that you don't spend too much time at the top of the acropolis, but rather take a stroll through the museum and have a snack at the Café that overlooks the Acropolis. As always, you can make the experience more fun by getting some goodies at the gift shop.

You should visit the Port town of Lavrio near Athens

Lavrio is one of the best beachside places to visit near Athens. It's a bit of a drive so you'll need to rent a car or take a bus. There are excellent beaches and tavernas there and you can also visit the neighbouring town of Sounio where the famous Grecotel hotel is located. Since it is a tourist location, Lavrio has a bunch of water sport activities such as snorkelling, scuba diving, boat rentals and many more. it's a great two day trip if you're wanting to get away from the city life.

What time of the year is the best to visit Athens?

According to the forum, many people recommend that I don’t visit Athens during August, because many of the locals have gone on vacation and the city is pretty empty. That being said… when is the best time to visit? I am definitely interested in seeing the acropolis and the museums, but I am wondering when the best time of year is to see the city life.

The Stavros Niarchos center is a great place to take the kids

The Stavros Niarchos cultural center is a great place to bring kids and the family. The architecture is amazing and there is a beautiful area to walk outside and enjoy the nature and views. The center is known for sustainability and innovation, and even has its own sustainability hub. There are multiple exhibitions going on throughout the year that showcase Greek Culture and modern and historical art. Here is the link to the foundation https://www.snfcc.org/en

May Day in 2022?

Hi! I will be in Athens for a few days soon, including May Day (Sunday) and May 2nd (observed). I've read about and seen videos of the strikes that happen, including trains and ferries not operating. I'm planning to visit Hydra one of those two days. Since May Day is on a Sunday this year, is it more likely that transportation via ferry will be stopped on May 1st or the observed day May 2nd?

Thank you kindly for any thoughts you can give!
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter