1 - 10 of 10 Posts

xmelissaa

My dear friend has a nut allergy, and I noticed that there are so many Greek cookies and desserts with nuts!! Do you have any advice?

Yes Greek yogurt either plain or with fruits.

Reactions: auroracoor1
Off the top of my head: profiterol, galaktoboureko, mpougatsa, kormos, loukoumades...

Reactions: auroracoor1
My dear friend has a nut allergy, and I noticed that there are so many Greek cookies and desserts with nuts!! Do you have any advice?
You mustn't be Greek, because all Greeks have nuts and are nuts.

Reactions: seleanor
Reactions: nadellii
It can be tricky to navigate, but off the top of my head, you don't need to include nuts to make the following:

Kourabedies
Galaktoboureko
Bougatsa
Koulourakia
Fanouropita
Greek Yogurt Cake
Milopita

I am sure there are others. If any of the above list nuts for some reason (I sometimes see this with kourabedies, for example), you can easily omit them.

Strict Lenten Fast Greek Salad

I have to prepare a salad for a lenten meal at church. Most people aren't super picky about it, as long as there are vegetables present.

Last time I prepared a salad, someone saw there was oil in the dressing and wouldn't touch the salad! So, I looked it up - and oil isn't allowed during lent for a strict fast. I had no idea.

How do I compose a salad for a crowd that caters to the strict fast?

I am thinking to make the salad and just use vegetables, nothing else.

Then, I can offer a regular dressing choice, and then also maybe just lemon wedges or some vinegar for the stricter fasters? Do you guys think that would work?

Ancient Greek recipes still in the cuisine today?

I'm reaching out to you guys to ask about ancient Greek recipes that have stood the test of time and are still part of modern Greek food. Are there specific dishes, ingredients, or cooking methods that have remained unchanged? Or perhaps, are there modern adaptations of ancient recipes that highlight the continuity and evolution of Greek culinary practices?

Understanding the continuity and evolution of these recipes could offer is a fascinating thing. I think I heard that some versions of baklava may have existed in Ancient Greece, as well as some of the dishes that involve lentils, that kind of thing.

Making Greek lemon potatoes?

I just had lemon potatoes at a restaurant and although I know how to cook Greek food, somehow I have never made this!

I took my best guess (I didn't look up a recipe) and it didn't taste great. Basically, I made a Ladolemono, drizzled it on the potatoes, and roasted them.

They never really got crispy - so my next thought is that I put too much of the ladolemono.

So the next time I made them, I put less of the ladolemono. I couldn't really taste the lemon.

Next, I am going to look up a recipe, but meanwhile I am curious what you guys do to make these.

Best way to make saganaki?

I went to a restaurant the other day and they lit the saganaki on fire! When I make saganaki at home, I don't do that - mainly because my recipe doesn't call for it.

How does one incorporate the fire into creating the dish?

From what I can tell, the restaurant prepares the saganaki and then before they bring it out, I think they douse it in ouzo and let it with a torch on the way to the table.

It's a fun thing to watch. It kind of freaks me out at home - mainly because I would be merely guessing at this point. Any ideas?

Bougatsa Recipe to Try

I went to Greece and loved the Bougatsa I used to buy on the street. I thought I would share a recipe I found. I have never made it before. Does this look like the real deal? I don't want to dive in, only to realize the recipe was flawed from the beginning.

Ingredients​

For the Custard:​

• 4 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup fine semolina
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • Zest of 1 lemon (optional)

For the Assembly:​

• 1 package (about 1 pound) phyllo dough, thawed
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
  • Ground cinnamon, for dusting

Instructions​

Preparing the Custard:​

1. In a medium saucepan, combine the milk and half the sugar over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining sugar and semolina. Add the eggs and whisk until the mixture is smooth and pale.
  3. Gradually temper the egg mixture by adding a cup of the warm milk while whisking constantly. Then, slowly pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining milk, whisking continuously.
  4. Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until it thickens and coats the back of the spoon (about 10-15 minutes). Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla extract and lemon zest (if using), and set aside to cool slightly. Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the custard to prevent a skin from forming.

Preparing the Phyllo:​

1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  2. Carefully unroll the phyllo dough. Cover the sheets with a damp towel to prevent drying out.
  3. Lay one sheet of phyllo in the prepared dish and brush with melted butter. Repeat this process, layering and buttering each sheet until you have used about half of the phyllo.
  4. Pour the custard over the phyllo layers, spreading evenly.

Assembly and Baking:​

1. Continue layering and buttering the remaining phyllo sheets on top of the custard.
  2. Using a sharp knife, score the top layers of phyllo into pieces – this will make cutting the bougatsa easier after baking.
  3. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the phyllo is golden brown and crisp.
  4. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
  5. Before serving, sift generously with confectioners' sugar and sprinkle with cinnamon to taste.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back