1 - 10 of 10 Posts

nadellii

I would love to do a quick tour of a museum or any historical sites! Has anyone been to any good ones? Thanks :)

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions: Hash and nadellii

nadellii

Great question!

Here are some of the best museums to visit in Santorini:

Enjoy Santorini and thanks for the question!
Thank you so much!!! This is super helpful

Reactions: Hash

Patisqua

not sure about museums. But we did a great day tour of the island. We went to an archaeological site, a village with very laneways built to keep the pirates away, a winery, best views and ended with sunset at Oi. This was our first time in Santorini. Who knows if we'll ever get there again.

Lotjeurope

When you are interested in archeology, go visit Akrotiri. I like it a lot, but if you are not into archeological sites you will just see piles of stones.
When you are travelling with children the Atlantis experience is a nice one to visit.
Visit the maritime museum in Oia only if you are interested in seafaring.
The historic museums in Fira are all worth visiting in my opinion.

greek_ggirl

not sure about museums. But we did a great day tour of the island. We went to an archaeological site, a village with very laneways built to keep the pirates away, a winery, best views and ended with sunset at Oi. This was our first time in Santorini. Who knows if we'll ever get there again.
Now that you mention it, some villages are so historical that they are just like museums!

greek_ggirl

When you are interested in archeology, go visit Akrotiri. I like it a lot, but if you are not into archeological sites you will just see piles of stones.
When you are travelling with children the Atlantis experience is a nice one to visit.
Yes I totally agree that Akrotiri is worth a visit

Lotjeurope

I would love to do a quick tour of a museum or any historical sites! Has anyone been to any good ones? Thanks :)
Been to the museum of prehistoric Thira yesterday in Fira. They have made an extra floor with the wallpaintings of Akrotiri. I liked it a lot!

Reactions: redsoxdw_

redsoxdw_

Been to the museum of prehistoric Thira yesterday in Fira. They have made an extra floor with the wallpaintings of Akrotiri. I liked it a lot!
This site is historical as well. The museum was built at the old Ypapanti Church which was destroyed in the 1956 Amorgos earthquake

k_tsoukalas

There are some great museums in Santorini. I love the Maritime Museum in Oia. It is small, but interesting.

The best times to visit Santorini

Santorini is one of those islands where the timing is super important! Unfortunately, the island gets super crowded and sometimes dare I say unpleasant because of the number of people and tourists. If you're willing to travel in the off season, I highly recommend it. September to October and April to May are the best times to go. I personally prefer mid September because I like a strong sun so I can get a good tan.

Visit the Symposium Cultural Center in Santorini

The Symposium Cultural Center is a fantastic place to go to when youre visiting the island. You will have access to everything from Greek food, art, history and culture through exhibitions and workshops. If you like hands on activities, I highly recommend that you sign up for a workshops with your friends or family when you visit. It is a great bonding activity and a nice way to experience all that Santorini has to offer. Here is the website and some links

https://www.symposionsantorini.com

How do I avoid the crowds in Santorini (besides going in the off season)?

I might be asking a very stupid question here… But is there anyway to avoid the tourists in Santorini besides going in the off-season? My husband is a teacher, and we really only get summers off, so there isn't a chance for us to go to Santorini in May or September. If anyone has advice on how to avoid the crowds, and how to travel on the off beaten path, please reply to this thread! Thank you so much!

Where to go shopping in Santorini Greece

Shopping in Santorini is one of the best experiences you can ever have because the shops are so unique and much of the stuff is handmade if you go to the right places. Santorini clothing has a very carefree and flowing vibe to it. Many of the clothes are white and made of linen, and match the colours of the island. The best places to shop is around Fira, the city center has the most ammount of stores and the greatest variety.
Share and discuss Santorini photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter