1 - 6 of 6 Posts

mastichas09

Does anyone know if there are more earthquakes on certain islands than others? I would love to visit Kefalonia but I have a huge fear of earthquakes!! Which places should I avoid?

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Great question!

I know Greece can have earthquake activity from time to time.

Here is a helpful resource that show how often (and recent) earthquakes happen in Kefalonia:

Hope this helps!

#OnKefalonia

Does anyone know if there are more earthquakes on certain islands than others? I would love to visit Kefalonia but I have a huge fear of earthquakes!! Which places should I avoid?
Hi

Earthquakes are not uncommon on the island but in the main are low level and not necessarily felt across the whole island.

Obviously the earthquake in 1953 flattened 85% of the island but as a result of this the island has rigorous requirements for all buildings to be anti seismic.

The last earthquake that did more significant damage was in 2014 and mainly affected the Paliki.

redsoxdw_

Hi

Earthquakes are not uncommon on the island but in the main are low level and not necessarily felt across the whole island.

Obviously the earthquake in 1953 flattened 85% of the island but as a result of this the island has rigorous requirements for all buildings to be anti seismic.

The last earthquake that did more significant damage was in 2014 and mainly affected the Paliki.
I've never heard of this earthquake thanks for sharing. https://www.greeka.com/ionian/kefalonia/history/earthquake/ Here's a link for anyone who wants to know more. Very tragic

k_tsoukalas

Seismic reports can you usually predict an earthquake, right? I would just read current seismic information, or maybe even just try to put it out of my mind:

There are plenty of earthquakes in Greece due to the amount of fasolatha that is consumed.

Have you ever been to the Castle of Assos in Kefalonia?

The Castle of Assos is an old Venetian fortress that has been left over from the Italian occupation of the island. Today, it is a beautiful pile of ruins that tourists can visit and learn about the history of Greece. You can hire a guy to take you around the different parts and explain the history, but I don't really recommend them as most of the information is available online if you're willing to do your own research. Please let me know if you've ever been! I would love to learn about what you thought of the castle.

The Kefalonia-Ithaca Geopark is now an official member of the UNESCO World Geoparks Network

This is huge news for Kefalonia and the conservation of the geopark. This means that UNESCO will play a pivotal role in supporting efforts to educate about and preserve the sustainability of the geopark. This will have an impact on tourism and help sustain some of the eco-tourism efforts that we have been seeing all around Greece. Bravo to the government and the municipality of Kefalonia!

Have you been to the Monastery of Themata in Kefalonia?

This monastery is one of the oldest landmarks on the island. I was so shocked to find out that it was originally built in 1096. It has been restored over time, of course, but much of the monastery remains in good condition. The name behind the monastery is debated, and its true origin is actually unknown. I've never been, but I have been doing a little bit of research about the monastery and I'm considering a visit when I go to Kefalonia this year. Has anyone on the forum been to the monastery or perhaps the nearby area of Agia Dinati Mountain?

Weather in October in kefelonia

Hi there would like to visit during the uk half term from 21st October but could you tell me what the weather is usually like and if the bars and restaurants are still open at this time of year. Thank you

Ammes beach is one of the best beaches on Kefalonia

Ammes beach is in the Svoronata area which is very close to the airport. Its about 10 km southwest of Argostoli and one of the best beaches on the island! It's a pretty low-key beach with some great organized lounge chairs but as with most beaches in Greece, you can find a public spot where you can swim with ease and free of charge. The beach is super sandy and the waters are very clear. I highly recommend it!
Share and discuss your Kefalonia photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter