1 - 6 of 6 Posts

acamp7

I would love to travel quickly by train from Thessaloniki to Athens...is this possible?

Reactions: Hash

Jerry s

There trains between the 2 cities with at least four per day. The trip takes about 4 hours.

efhernandez_

There trains between the 2 cities with at least four per day. The trip takes about 4 hours.
I've never taken a train in Greece, only bus so I don't know what it's like. Although trains are usually always better! Have you taken it? What was your experience?

Jerry s

Sorry the only time I used a train in Greece was Metro in Athens . Others have told me about the train, apparently a fast train but it can't be that fast if it takes 4 hours to cover the 500 km. I usually pick up a car at the airport and use that for our stay in Greece, I even take the car of Ferries, most rental companies will not allow that. I use the same mob every time and they allow as long as you tell them what islands you are going .
If you have some time and you can drive, rent a car and go to Meteora, a Unesco listed monastery, it is not far out of the way.

dubai_suzie

Sorry the only time I used a train in Greece was Metro in Athens . Others have told me about the train, apparently a fast train but it can't be that fast if it takes 4 hours to cover the 500 km. I usually pick up a car at the airport and use that for our stay in Greece, I even take the car of Ferries, most rental companies will not allow that. I use the same mob every time and they allow as long as you tell them what islands you are going .
If you have some time and you can drive, rent a car and go to Meteora, a Unesco listed monastery, it is not far out of the way.
Doesn't sound super fast lol, but fast for Greece! So that's the bright side

k_tsoukalas

Fast train is supposed to take 3 hours:

Eating and drinking your way through Thessaloniki!

This video offers some great suggestions! Ill definitely be checking these places out when I plan to go this winter :)

Visit Thessalonikis Christmas market!

What's better than a Greek Christmas market in Thessaloniki offering the best of the best from all around the city??! Christmas markets are a great place to walk around and enjoy the festivities and lights, and get some last-minute local gifts. I stumbled upon this link while researching some activities to do in the city for a friend of mine who has never been to Greece. If anyone else has some recommendations for Christmas time activities in Thessaloniki I would really appreciate it.

Are there any traditional Greek villages near Thessaloniki?

I love the feel of a small village. Is there anything near the city that I can visit?

Thessaloniki is Greeces best city because its right on the water

Don't get me wrong I love Athens but its too much pavement and not enough breeze! I personally love Thessaloniki because it has beautiful views of the water and pretty good beaches nearby! :) :) I can't wait to go back this summer

Thessaloniki-720x482.jpg

Do I have to pay to visit monasteries in Thessaloniki?

I was thinking to visit Panagia Ikosifinissa, Vlatadon and Agia Theodora. Do I have to pay to enter? If so, about how much is it per monastery?
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter