1 - 5 of 5 Posts

acamp7

I would love to travel quickly by train from Thessaloniki to Athens...is this possible?

Reactions: Hash

Jerry s

There trains between the 2 cities with at least four per day. The trip takes about 4 hours.

efhernandez_

There trains between the 2 cities with at least four per day. The trip takes about 4 hours.
I've never taken a train in Greece, only bus so I don't know what it's like. Although trains are usually always better! Have you taken it? What was your experience?

Jerry s

Sorry the only time I used a train in Greece was Metro in Athens . Others have told me about the train, apparently a fast train but it can't be that fast if it takes 4 hours to cover the 500 km. I usually pick up a car at the airport and use that for our stay in Greece, I even take the car of Ferries, most rental companies will not allow that. I use the same mob every time and they allow as long as you tell them what islands you are going .
If you have some time and you can drive, rent a car and go to Meteora, a Unesco listed monastery, it is not far out of the way.

dubai_suzie

Sorry the only time I used a train in Greece was Metro in Athens . Others have told me about the train, apparently a fast train but it can't be that fast if it takes 4 hours to cover the 500 km. I usually pick up a car at the airport and use that for our stay in Greece, I even take the car of Ferries, most rental companies will not allow that. I use the same mob every time and they allow as long as you tell them what islands you are going .
If you have some time and you can drive, rent a car and go to Meteora, a Unesco listed monastery, it is not far out of the way.
Doesn't sound super fast lol, but fast for Greece! So that's the bright side

Do I have to pay to visit monasteries in Thessaloniki?

I was thinking to visit Panagia Ikosifinissa, Vlatadon and Agia Theodora. Do I have to pay to enter? If so, about how much is it per monastery?

Visit the monument of Alexander the Great in Thessaloniki

How long do you recommend to spend in Thessaloniki?

Is a weekend enough? Or should I be spending more time? I don't want to do anything fancy, just the classic sightseeing and eating out. Any advice?

Eating and drinking your way through Thessaloniki!

This video offers some great suggestions! Ill definitely be checking these places out when I plan to go this winter :)

The National Theatre of Northern Greece is a great place to watch shows

Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter