1 - 2 of 2 Posts

nadellii

I noticed something. I swear tomatoes taste better in Greece. The only exception is when I grow my own and pick them and eat them or cook with them from right off the vine.

Aside from that, are there some differences? I know the tomatoes on Santorini taste different (delicious!) because of the soil. Maybe part of it is the freshness, too? I know that when I buy tomatoes outside of Greece in the super markets, they don't taste as good as the ones I get from farmer's markets.

k_tsoukalas

I noticed something. I swear tomatoes taste better in Greece. The only exception is when I grow my own and pick them and eat them or cook with them from right off the vine.

Aside from that, are there some differences? I know the tomatoes on Santorini taste different (delicious!) because of the soil. Maybe part of it is the freshness, too? I know that when I buy tomatoes outside of Greece in the super markets, they don't taste as good as the ones I get from farmer's markets.
I think the main thing is to make sure they are as fresh as possible when cooking outside of Greece. But, I did read that the tomatoes on Santorini are different - smaller, sweeter, and the soul is unique because it's volcanic and that changes the flavor.

Greek-Style Fish "Dressing"

I don't know what else to call this ... I bumped into a recipe for ladolemono that had olive oil, lemon, oregano, garlic, and some onion. I decided to make a ladolemono similar to this, but adjust the seasonings for fish.

I plan to make salmon this week! So instead of oregano I will be using freshly chopped dill, and I think garlic would be too strong from salmon so am going to use a small shallow and no onion either. What do you guys think? I think it sounds like it will be delicious, and I can maybe even use this for other seafood if it goes well.

What do you use for grill seasoning?

I usually just use ladolemono, but I am looking for different ideas. This is to grill pretty much anything. I either do salt and pepper or ladolemono - looking for new ideas.

I have a friend who makes a rub with Greek spices, but didn't tell me what she puts in it. I've had it, it tastes like there's oregano, a little garlic, and something with heat. Like maybe ground red pepper?

Preserving Fresh Herbs from the Store?

It's cold out and I don't have garden herbs. I have some herbs growing indoors but not everything I need. So, I have been buying them at the store.

They don't last long at all! They're good maybe for 2-3 days but then I have to toss them. Any advice on how to keep them fresh or maybe even preserve them so I get the fresh taste still without relying on the fridge? People have told me to try freezing them and that didn't work - they got a freezer taste and got all mushy in the freezer (it was gross!).

Other "Leaves" to Use for Stuffing?

I have seen various "stuffed" leaf-type dishes in Greek cuisine, and I am realizing that the filling is always pretty similar. The two common ones I see are grape leaves (delicious in early summer when I can pick the leaves) and cabbage.

I noticed that there are other types of "leaves" that can be used. I think someone says they often use Swiss chard? What else can be used? I love every type of dish in this category. Thanks!

Making Greek baked beans advice...

I saw a recipe for Greek baked beans in tomato sauce and I want to make it.

It calls for dried gigantes beans, which I can't find. Can I use any dried bean? I was thinking dried, white lima beans. I also think I read in another thread that someone here uses butter beans? Can I use canned beans? That would make things so much easier...
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube