1 - 3 of 3 Posts

mj_toronto8

I thought I'd share this fun fact. My family makes baklava syrup with oranges and I love the flavor! To me, the orange mixed with cinnamon sticks smells like Christmas. My family would always make this around Christmastime.

• 1 cup (240 ml) water
  • 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
  • 1 cup (240 ml) honey
  • 1 tablespoon orange zest (from one medium orange)
  • 1/2 cup (120 ml) fresh orange juice (from 1-2 medium oranges)
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 3-4 whole cloves
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
I really just bring the ingredients to a boil and simmer it until it gets as thick as I needed it. You turn it off and let it cool on the stove completely before putting it on the baklava. And you have to put it on the baklava right after it comes out of the oven!

baklava.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Voula
I thought I'd share this fun fact. My family makes baklava syrup with oranges and I love the flavor! To me, the orange mixed with cinnamon sticks smells like Christmas. My family would always make this around Christmastime.

• 1 cup (240 ml) water
  • 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
  • 1 cup (240 ml) honey
  • 1 tablespoon orange zest (from one medium orange)
  • 1/2 cup (120 ml) fresh orange juice (from 1-2 medium oranges)
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 3-4 whole cloves
I really just bring the ingredients to a boil and simmer it until it gets as thick as I needed it. You turn it off and let it cool on the stove completely before putting it on the baklava. And you have to put it on the baklava right after it comes out of the oven!

View attachment 1289
OMG that sounds amazing! What a wonderful flavor combination! I make a sugar-free syrup using Greek honey for my Saragli and Baklava Triangles.

This recipes looks really good!!! Thanks for sharing...

How do you use Lemon in Greek cuisine?

I know that lemons are common in Greek cuisine. I cook Greek all the time, and I use lemons a lot!

What are some traditional Greek dishes that you use lemons for? I am curious what people do. I tend to make a lot of ladolemono and use it to marinate meats. I also use it as a garnish all the time for both meats and vegetables like spinach, asparagus, etc.

I had thought all Greeks use lemon a lot, but I went over someone's house (Greek) and they didn't seem as into it as my family is...

Good Greek Dips and Spreads for Entertaining

I like to entertain and I like to have some good recipes on hand to throw together at the last minute. Did I miss anything? Here's what I have:
  • Tzatziki
  • Hummus
  • Melitzanosalata
  • Taramosalata
  • Fava
I eat tapenade (olive spread) a lot in Greece, but I don't have a good recipe...

Greek Rice Pudding Recipe

I love Greek-style rice pudding! My family used to make this all the time but got away from it. It's one of my favorite desserts! Thought I would share my recipe.

Ingredients:​

• 1 cup short-grain rice (such as Arborio)
  • 4 cups water
  • 4 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • Pinch of salt
  • Ground cinnamon for garnish

Instructions:​

1. Rinse the Rice:
    • Rinse the rice under cold water until the water runs clear. This helps to remove excess starch.
  2. Cook the Rice:
    • In a large pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
    • Add the rice and a pinch of salt. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the rice is partially cooked. Drain any excess water if necessary.
  3. Simmer with Milk:
    • Add the 4 cups of whole milk and the cinnamon stick to the pot with the rice.
    • Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
  4. Sweeten and Flavor:
    • Once the mixture reaches a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30-40 minutes or until the rice is tender and the mixture has thickened.
    • Stir in the sugar and continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes, until the sugar is fully dissolved and the pudding has thickened to your desired consistency.
  5. Add Vanilla:
    • Remove the pot from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
  6. Cool and Serve:
    • Remove the cinnamon stick.
    • Pour the rice pudding into individual serving dishes or a large serving bowl.
    • Let it cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until well chilled.

Chocolate Koulourakia Recipe

I had Chocolate Koulourakia when in Greece and I recently found and tried the recipe. It was good! Thought I'd share:

Ingredients:​

• 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon milk (if needed)
  • 1 egg yolk + 1 tablespoon water (for egg wash)
  • Sesame seeds (optional)

Instructions:​

1. Preheat Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Cream Butter and Sugar: In a large bowl, beat the softened butter and granulated sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
  3. Add Eggs and Vanilla: Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla extract.
  4. Combine Dry Ingredients: In a separate bowl, sift together the cocoa powder, baking powder, flour, and salt.
  5. Mix Dry and Wet Ingredients: Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, mixing until a dough forms. If the dough is too dry, add a tablespoon of milk to help bring it together.
  6. Shape the Cookies: Take small pieces of dough and roll them into ropes about 4-5 inches long. Fold each rope in half and twist the ends together to form a twist shape, or shape them into rings if you prefer.
  7. Egg Wash: In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of water. Brush the tops of the cookies with the egg wash. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
  8. Bake: Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, or until the cookies are firm and slightly golden around the edges.
  9. Cool and Serve: Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.

What is different about Greek cuisine in the US?

I am a Greek American living in the Boston area, and I have also been to Greece a lot.

I have noticed that there are some differences between here and Greece in terms of cuisine. I can't put my finger on it, but I know that things are just different.

Does anyone have any insights as to why? I feel like a large part is the freshness of all the ingredients. But I think the recipes are different, too.

Any advice on how I can recreate some of that magic here?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back