1 - 9 of 9 Posts

tomipark

This is an emerging update that I read on the news! Covid cases have recently increased in Greece, so please be safe and careful while traveling this summer :)

Reactions: seleanor

seleanor

This is an emerging update that I read on the news! Covid cases have recently increased in Greece, so please be safe and careful while traveling this summer :)

Geeez that's scary, be careful everyone!

#OnKefalonia

I think it's important to get some perspective on these figures. The main hotspots are the main urban centres on the mainland - Athens, Thessaloniki - rather than the majority of islands.

I have just spent the last 3 months on Kefalonia where the case rate has fluctuated between 0 and 30 per 100000 of population. Due to the relatively small population (c35000) a single case changes the case rate by almost 3 per 100000. I have just returned to the UK for a few weeks to a case rate in excess of 300 per 100000.

It's fair to say that I felt a damn sight safer in Greece than I do in the UK or would in feel in most other places around the world.

Greece is trying to find a way out of this economically and has taken the decision to allow more visitors which probably accounts for an increase in figures - sadly they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

nm1999

I think it's important to get some perspective on these figures. The main hotspots are the main urban centres on the mainland - Athens, Thessaloniki - rather than the majority of islands.

I have just spent the last 3 months on Kefalonia where the case rate has fluctuated between 0 and 30 per 100000 of population. Due to the relatively small population (c35000) a single case changes the case rate by almost 3 per 100000. I have just returned to the UK for a few weeks to a case rate in excess of 300 per 100000.

It's fair to say that I felt a damn sight safer in Greece than I do in the UK or would in feel in most other places around the world.

Greece is trying to find a way out of this economically and has taken the decision to allow more visitors which probably accounts for an increase in figures - sadly they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
This is a great point, always important to look at these numbers with a critical eye

Reactions: Hash

Deborah

Any and all COVID updates from people “on the ground” in Greece are much appreciated! Has the vaccination program been accelerated, particularly in the hot spots like Athens, Skiathos, Mykonos and Crete?

Reactions: Hash

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, Covid-19 cases in Greece are increasing, here is a good website that contains the Covid case count daily for Greece:

Thanks to all for sharing excellent and important information for all traveling to Greece!

k_tsoukalas

Thank you, all, for the updates! Covid cases are increasing everywhere, and even though I am vaccinated, I know that there are instances where I need to be wearing a mask. I would imagine Greece has a similar feeling to it? Are people wearing masks indoors and in crowded settings?

Deborah

I am in Chania; a city that currently has the highest COVID rate in the country. People are required to wear masks indoors in shops. All dining is outdoors, so masks are not required in restaurants. The Open Air Markets are operating; the Old Harbor promenade is very busy especially at night. Although I’ve seen more masks outdoors this week, the majority of people are not wearing masks in crowded outdoor situations. The latest fashion statement seems to be to wear them at your elbow! I was dismayed at first, given that Chania is a red zone, but have decided that the decision to wear a mask is my own responsibility. Hotel owners and wait staff are 100% following all COVID protocols. Two weeks here so far and everything’s been fine! We are very grateful to be here!

greek_ggirl

I am in Chania; a city that currently has the highest COVID rate in the country. People are required to wear masks indoors in shops. All dining is outdoors, so masks are not required in restaurants. The Open Air Markets are operating; the Old Harbor promenade is very busy especially at night. Although I’ve seen more masks outdoors this week, the majority of people are not wearing masks in crowded outdoor situations. The latest fashion statement seems to be to wear them at your elbow! I was dismayed at first, given that Chania is a red zone, but have decided that the decision to wear a mask is my own responsibility. Hotel owners and wait staff are 100% following all COVID protocols. Two weeks here so far and everything’s been fine! We are very grateful to be here!
Thank you so much for the update. Glad to hear that some are following the restrictions. Best of luck to you and stay safe :)

Travel tip: bring a polaroid camera to Greece!

I love taking polaroid pictures to remember my favorite memories from Greece! I also love to take disposal cameras and then develop them once I get home. This is a great way to not bulk up your phone with hundreds of pictures and to get that retro look in your images as well. I highly recommend it for anyone who is looking to capture special memories from Greece!

Greece's Astypalea Hosts Parkour's Most Prestigious Competition .

What are some Greek work from home tips?

I’ve been considering being a traveling nomad ever since my company switched to being fully remote. I would love to do this in Greece, but I am a bit skeptical since I have never visited for more than two weeks. Has anyone from abroad started living in Greece during the pandemic? Or do any Greeks have advice on what transitioning my life and work would be like? I live in Australia at the moment but have little to tie me down here. Thank you everyone

Greece is the word for summer holidays.

Paros is Santorinis cheaper cousin!

In my opinion, Paros offers everything that Santorini does but it's so much more affordable and not full of tourists. I highly recommend that you visit and enjoy the stunning blue and white architecture and relaxing beaches. Here are some of the sites that you should visit in Paros

- Naoussa
- Kolymbithres Beach
- Parikia
- Lageri Beach
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter