1 - 4 of 4 Posts

redsoxdw_

Reactions: Hash

ellinasgolfer0320

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Here is another news story about the wildfires that are taking place in the near Athens in Stamata, Greece:

k_tsoukalas

This is horrible! Fires like this absolutely break my heart, all that damage .... :(

Odeon of Herodes Atticus, Acropolis

Now hear me out. I usually go to see a performance at the Odeon of Herodes Atticus theatre every time I visit Athens. A few times I have seen operas there. In fact, I have only been to operas at this theatre, having never been to an opera at any other time in my life. I have to say it is an amazing experience. If you are going this year and you have never been to an opera, Toscana is being performed here as part of the Athens & Epidaurus Festival. Do yourself a favour and go see it. You can find details here: https://whyathens.com/events/tosca-greek-national-opera/

And to get you in the mood, here are a couple of photos of the last opera I went to see there:

IMG_20190609_212402.jpg

IMG_20190609_214430.jpg

Make sure to bring your European student ID when visiting Athens

If you’re interested in going to museums this summer when you’re visiting Athens, I highly recommend that you bring your student ID if you’re from Europe. All of the museums in Athens provide a lower fee for students and university.

A walking tour of Lavrio, Greece

Lavrio is the coastal town in the southeastern part of Attica which is the region where Athens is located. This is a great place to visit if you want to go to restaurants and shop around, but also be by the water. Personally, I get pretty tired of staying in downtown Athens because there's not much of a breeze and I can't get to the beach very quickly. This is only super easy if you're renting a car, otherwise you can get to the beach or visit closer beach areas like Glyfada.

Tips on making your trip to the Acropolis kid friendly!

Many activities in Greece can be kid friendly, as long as you make some minor adjustments. The acropolis is a great place to visit but it can get a bit tiring for young kids who don't like being in the sun or walking up a lot of stairs. My first recommendation is to go very early in the morning, or late afternoon when there is not a lot of sun. Make sure the little ones are wearing hats and sunscreen and they are very hydrated. I suggest that you don't spend too much time at the top of the acropolis, but rather take a stroll through the museum and have a snack at the Café that overlooks the Acropolis. As always, you can make the experience more fun by getting some goodies at the gift shop.

Tips for taking taxis in Athens!

Of course, there are many reputable taxi drivers in Greece, and these days it's hard to get ripped off… but you always have to remain cautious. Some of the best advice that I can give you about taking taxis in Athens is knowing a bit about what is the normal price for your area and distance. I recommend that you ask waiters, Greek friends, or your hotel concierge about what should be expected for your trip. Before you start your ride, make sure that you ask about how much the trip will cost. And make sure that they turn the meter on at the start of your trip. In addition, I always check Google maps to make sure that the taxi driver is taking the fastest route.
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter