1 - 5 of 5 Posts

nm1999

Here's a bit of interesting history about Mykonos

"Because the inhabitants of the island were great sailors, they provided important help to the War of Independence, offering their 22 ships, their 500 members of the crew and their 140 canons to the Greek Revolution against the Turkish yoke. The heroic revolutionary figure of Mykonos is a woman, Manto Mavrogenous who financed the Revolution, helped in the organization of fights, participate in the Filiki Etairia (a secret revolutionary organization) and managed to organize troops in order to revolt against the Turks in 1822."

-https://www.greeka.com/cyclades/mykonos/history/

Reactions: Hash

Hash

Here's a bit of interesting history about Mykonos

"Because the inhabitants of the island were great sailors, they provided important help to the War of Independence, offering their 22 ships, their 500 members of the crew and their 140 canons to the Greek Revolution against the Turkish yoke. The heroic revolutionary figure of Mykonos is a woman, Manto Mavrogenous who financed the Revolution, helped in the organization of fights, participate in the Filiki Etairia (a secret revolutionary organization) and managed to organize troops in order to revolt against the Turks in 1822."

-https://www.greeka.com/cyclades/mykonos/history/
Manto .....our Heroine!! ❣️❣️.....a beautiful statue of her is where she still overlooks and guards Mykonou in Taxi Square on the waterfront...... Thank you posting this and sharing such lovely reading....it was part of our walking tour Mykonos!👋

Reactions: efhernandez_

efhernandez_

Manto .....our Heroine!! ❣️❣️.....a beautiful statue of her is where she still overlooks and guards Mykonou in Taxi Square on the waterfront...... Thank you posting this and sharing such lovely reading....it was part of our walking tour Mykonos!👋
So cool to have a woman statue in Greece, I feel like that's pretty rare :)

Hash

Reactions: greek_ggirl

k_tsoukalas

Yes and with pride.
Legendary Manto is in Manto square....we call it Taxi Square because the Taxis turn around her statue!❤️
I never knew what that statue was! This is such an interesting story... So cool to have a woman honored like that.

Valeron and Live Band at the Light House in Mykonos ❤️

Valeron and Band Live at the Light House in Mykonos!
This is was where we stopped for snacks and refreshments before continuing the Jeep Safari.Enjoy Mykonos, better than any travel videos!❤️❤️👌👌

How Mykonos’ Most Fashionable Hot Spots & Resorts Have Welcomed Stars Back Amid COVID

Some very nice images of Delos !

Mykonos live Webcam.... Enjoy!❤️

Just behind the windmills is where I parked my car every morning before walking down the hill to Little Venice to the Delos Port!❤️❤️

Check out these traditional wedding dancers in Mykonos!

Now this is what I call a wedding! I wish I had an invite LOL

Share and discuss your Mykonos photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter