1 - 10 of 10 Posts

seleanor

Santorini has some of the best cuisine to try! Some of my recommendations are...
-domatokeftedes
-santorini fava
-melitinia
-chlorotyiri cheese
-white eggplant
-santorini wine of course!!

Reactions: francescool

francescool

Santorini has some of the best cuisine to try! Some of my recommendations are...
-domatokeftedes
-santorini fava
-melitinia
-chlorotyiri cheese
-white eggplant
thanks for sharing! ive never heard of white eggplant

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Katsouni Cucumbers that are found in Santorini are truly amazing!!!

katsouni-cucumbers-720x960 (1).jpeg

Reactions: dimi_pat

HeartSantorini

Yes to all of the above. The tomatoes were my personal favorite, and I enjoyed the domatokeftedes quite a bit. They're on a lot of local menus and it is a local specialty. The island's volcanic past makes the produce taste much different - the soil has different nutrients, so these special vegetables taste extra delicious. It gives the wine a unique character, as well.

dimi_pat

Yes to all of the above. The tomatoes were my personal favorite, and I enjoyed the domatokeftedes quite a bit. They're on a lot of local menus and it is a local specialty. The island's volcanic past makes the produce taste much different - the soil has different nutrients, so these special vegetables taste extra delicious. It gives the wine a unique character, as well.
That’s so amazing that the physical history of the island can have an impact on the taste of the food. Greece is truly such an amazing place.

Reactions: TatianaS

k_tsoukalas

-domatokeftedes
-santorini fava
-melitinia
-chlorotyiri cheese
-white eggplant
I am going to say yes to all of these! My personal favorites are the domatokeftedes and Santorini fave. The tomatoes on Santorini are unique, which makes the keftedes even more flavorful. The fava is also amazing - so flavorful and delicious, I love to start my meals with it.

HeartSantorini

I would like to add that it is fairly easy to find these specialties while on the island. Most restaurants and tavernas have plenty of local choices. Oh, and don't forget to drink some local wine with your meals!

Reactions: paharo45

paharo45

I would like to add that it is fairly easy to find these specialties while on the island. Most restaurants and tavernas have plenty of local choices. Oh, and don't forget to drink some local wine with your meals!
I always ask for a local wine list!!

Reactions: HeartSantorini

HeartSantorini

Reactions: dubai_suzie

dubai_suzie

Yes, Santorini is as beautiful as they say

Today was my first day in Santorini and I must say I was astounded. I was worried that there was a lot of hype around the island, and that it might not be as nice as they say but I was wrong. It’s absolutely stunning. I believe that everyone should try and go in their lifetime.

4AF80C52-DB66-48DB-83C3-1CD1F1981FC9.jpeg

These are the top two foods to try in Santorini!

Santorini has some of the best sunsets, but also some of the best food! The island has so many fantastic restaurants, many of which are taking a modern twist on traditional Greek cuisine. Two of the must try foods that are local dishes in Santorini are domatokeftedes (tomato fritters) and fava. Here are pictures of both dishes!

Did you know that Santorini has an industrial tomato museum?

Santorini had a huge production of tomatoes, which was so big that they even have an industrial tomato museum that is open to the public. Santorini no longer exports as much tomato paste as it used to, I'm assuming because it became one of the most popular tourist hot spots in the entire world. The museum is located in the former D. Nomikos Tomato Factory, and I really suggest that you check it out!! Safe travels :)

The donkeys of Santorini

These donkeys are famous! Hailing back from before Santorini was the biggest tourist hotspot, donkeys were used by locals to transport themselves and their goods up the hilly Santorini mountainside. Today, you may see a few donkeys used for these purposes but for the most part they are used for tourists to take a tour of the island.
9A8A39F1-280D-4B9A-9567-4BAFA018DB45.jpeg

The best place to go scuba diving in Santorini

Santorini is one of the best places to go scuba diving because the island was created from a volcano many years ago which makes the sea life very different from other areas of Greece. There are very unique Coral reef Sandrock formations that have come from the volcano, and as always, the sea is teeming with wildlife. I highly recommend visiting Caldera Lagoon and arranging that you go scuba diving there. There are a few local schools that you should call ahead of time to schedule your slot. Best of luck!
Share and discuss Santorini photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter