1 - 4 of 4 Posts

knicks_fan87

Seafood is popular all over Greece but snails are a Cretan staple that you usually don't find anywhere else in Greece. If you're able to find a good fish tavern, that's your best bet at getting the most fresh and delicious snails. Here are a few of my recommendations...

Ntounias
Vranas
Zeyfros
7 Thalasses

Enjoy!! :) Leave your reviews in the comments please!

ladytina

Seafood is popular all over Greece but snails are a Cretan staple that you usually don't find anywhere else in Greece. If you're able to find a good fish tavern, that's your best bet at getting the most fresh and delicious snails. Here are a few of my recommendations...

Ntounias
Vranas
Zeyfros
7 Thalasses

You're right, snails are everywhere on Crete. I was walking through a small village near Agios Nikolaos and watched a woman collecting snails. It had just rained. We went to speak with her and she was saying that both snails and the carob trees helped the Cretans prevent starvation during WWII. I will keep these recommendations in mind!

Reactions: dimi_pat

dimi_pat

You're right, snails are everywhere on Crete. I was walking through a small village near Agios Nikolaos and watched a woman collecting snails. It had just rained. We went to speak with her and she was saying that both snails and the carob trees helped the Cretans prevent starvation during WWII. I will keep these recommendations in mind!
Wow that's amazing! Greeks have been living off the land for so many years it's great to see that Cretans have kept up their traditions :)

k_tsoukalas

Ntounias
Vranas
Zeyfros
7 Thalasses

Snails are delicious. I don't have them nearly as often as I would like. I agree with you guys, it is wonderful to see the Cretans sticking to their traditions.

Visit the windmills in Lasithi Crete

These windmills are one of the most unique attractions on the island. They were a great source of sustainable energy, and provided irrigation to water plants in the summer months. There aren't many windmills left, and they currently stand as more of a tourist attraction than an energy source. If you would like to visit, they are located on the north end of the Lasithi plateau.

1656470340077.png

Great Area in Crete for a Wedding?

Some of you may remember that I am planning a wedding in Greece. So excited!

I think I might want to look at the island of Crete for it because my guest list will likely be pretty large, and I feel like the island has a ton of options and things to do.

Now, I am wondering which area to focus on. Chania? Heraklion? Something else? Most of the guest list will be coming from other places, so we will need a large enough area with plenty of options for places to stay and things to do.

Cretan agriculture is top notch!

Crete has developed some of the most innovative agricultural technology to support their booming business and exports. The majority of Crete's exports are agricultural, and namely olive oil. Many of Crete's natural resources such as water are cultivated to support the industry, almost 80% of Crete's water is used for agriculture. These farmers are just one example of what the island is doing to sustain themselves.

Maleviziotikos is a beautiful and energetic Cretan dance!

I have never seen this beautiful Cretan dance live but I'm sure this video does it justice! As you can see, the dance is very energetic and seems to be very celebratory.I can imagine that it takes a lot of cardio and stamina to preform for a long period of time. I would love to know more information about when this dance is used, and what it signifies in the Cretan. I am not Cretan myself, so I am not too sure.

The beautiful traditional costumes of Crete

Crete has some of the most beautiful culture and costumes! This video outlines all of the pieces of the traditional costumes and what each part is used for. As you can see, many parts of Cretan culture are based in military lifestyle. Cretans are known as warriors and played a major role in defending Greece from both the Ottoman Empire as well as Nazi regime.

Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter