1 - 4 of 4 Posts

knicks_fan87

Seafood is popular all over Greece but snails are a Cretan staple that you usually don't find anywhere else in Greece. If you're able to find a good fish tavern, that's your best bet at getting the most fresh and delicious snails. Here are a few of my recommendations...

Ntounias
Vranas
Zeyfros
7 Thalasses

Enjoy!! :) Leave your reviews in the comments please!

ladytina

Seafood is popular all over Greece but snails are a Cretan staple that you usually don't find anywhere else in Greece. If you're able to find a good fish tavern, that's your best bet at getting the most fresh and delicious snails. Here are a few of my recommendations...

Ntounias
Vranas
Zeyfros
7 Thalasses

You're right, snails are everywhere on Crete. I was walking through a small village near Agios Nikolaos and watched a woman collecting snails. It had just rained. We went to speak with her and she was saying that both snails and the carob trees helped the Cretans prevent starvation during WWII. I will keep these recommendations in mind!

Reactions: dimi_pat

dimi_pat

You're right, snails are everywhere on Crete. I was walking through a small village near Agios Nikolaos and watched a woman collecting snails. It had just rained. We went to speak with her and she was saying that both snails and the carob trees helped the Cretans prevent starvation during WWII. I will keep these recommendations in mind!
Wow that's amazing! Greeks have been living off the land for so many years it's great to see that Cretans have kept up their traditions :)

k_tsoukalas

Ntounias
Vranas
Zeyfros
7 Thalasses

Snails are delicious. I don't have them nearly as often as I would like. I agree with you guys, it is wonderful to see the Cretans sticking to their traditions.

Did you know that most Cretan restaurants will serve you raki and watermelon after your meal?

Whether you ask for it or not, most restaurants in Crete will serve you raki and watermelon free of charge after your meal. This is part of the Cretan culture and is considered very hospitable and philotimo. I personally always looked forward to it and it was a great part of the dining experience.

What do you need to know before visiting Chania, Crete!

When you're visiting Chania, I personally recommend sticking around the city. The restaurants are fantastic and it's also a city that's right by the water so you'll be able to go to the beach whenever you like. The nightlife is also pretty great, and there's really talented musicians who play live music in the summertime. This video outlines everything about the city perfectly. If you've been, drop some recommendations in the comments!

Imbros Gorge is a beautiful part of Cretes natural beauty

Crete has some of the most beautiful natural beauty in all of Greece!! Imbros Gorge is a trail that almost reaches 8 kilometres and it is a bit easier to hike than Samaria gorge. You can always take a tour if you are unsure about where to go and if you are scared to get lost. Tours are also a great way to learn more about the history of the island and get to know a bit more from the locals. Cretans are very hospitable and love to sit down with you and drink some raki.

Visiting Psychro Cave in Crete, also known as Zeus Cave

This is what the Zeus cave looks like in Crete. Ancient Greek mythology claims that this is where the ancient Greek god Zeus was born. Because of this, many many tourists flock from around the world to visit this cave. The cave is also revered as very special because there are many rare and valuable stones found within it such as amethyst. Here is a video clip that shows you the inside of the cave, if you are ever planning to visit.

The most beautiful limani (port) is in Chania, Crete

One of the best things about visiting Chania, Crete is dining and walking around the beautiful port. The city is right exactly on the port, making the perfect place to do pretty much everything. If you're lucky enough to have the ability to get a boat chartered, I highly recommend sailing to different parts of the island. It's one of the best ways to visit the island and you can make stops along the way and swim. Have you ever been?
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter