1 - 2 of 2 Posts

mastichas09

I have some whole mastic and I have some recipes I want to try that call for ground mastic. So, I need to find a way to grind it. What is the accepted best practice for grinding it? I have heard people using:

• A special coffee grinder dedicated just for grinding herbs (not the same as grinding coffee bean because that will make everything taste like coffee)
  • Mortar and pestle, grind without adding anything
  • Mortar and pestle with an added pinch of salt (I don't know why people do this)
  • Food processor
Which do you guys recommend?

My favorite way to grind it is in a mortar and pestle. I add a pinch of sea salt to the mortar and then add the mastic, as needed for the recipe. I don't grind in advance because it loses a lot of flavor. The salt enhances the mastic flavor and helps it grind faster.

What do you eat for breakfast?

I have been wondering what traditional Greeks eat for breakfast. I am a bit Americanized in my habits, but I noticed I am constantly not very hungry in the morning.

From what I've gathered, a traditional Greek breakfast might not be as globally recognized as the full English breakfast or the American pancakes and bacon, but it's definitely a feast worth exploring. I'm curious, does anyone here know what a traditional Greek breakfast consists of?

From the initial research, it seems that fresh ingredients play a big role, with items like Greek yogurt, honey, fresh fruit, and nuts being quite common. There's also mention of various types of bread and pastries, such as the famous Spanakopita (spinach pie) and Tyropita (cheese pie). However, I believe there's more to discover and learn from personal experiences or detailed insights.

Do any of you have Greek heritage or have been to Greece and experienced a traditional Greek breakfast firsthand?

Food at Greek Weddings?

When it comes to planning a Greek wedding, what Greek food is traditional to serve? I am helping my friend play her wedding and want to gather information.

Could anyone share insights or personal experiences on the traditional Greek foods served at weddings? I'm curious about dishes that are must-haves on the big day, any symbolic meanings behind certain foods, and how the menu reflects Greek culture and traditions.

I remember at my cousin's wedding, they had kourabedies and some sort of traditional Cretan rice pilaf served at weddings (they're Cretan, but the wedding was in the US).

Ancient Greek recipes still in the cuisine today?

I'm reaching out to you guys to ask about ancient Greek recipes that have stood the test of time and are still part of modern Greek food. Are there specific dishes, ingredients, or cooking methods that have remained unchanged? Or perhaps, are there modern adaptations of ancient recipes that highlight the continuity and evolution of Greek culinary practices?

Understanding the continuity and evolution of these recipes could offer is a fascinating thing. I think I heard that some versions of baklava may have existed in Ancient Greece, as well as some of the dishes that involve lentils, that kind of thing.

Best way to make saganaki?

I went to a restaurant the other day and they lit the saganaki on fire! When I make saganaki at home, I don't do that - mainly because my recipe doesn't call for it.

How does one incorporate the fire into creating the dish?

From what I can tell, the restaurant prepares the saganaki and then before they bring it out, I think they douse it in ouzo and let it with a torch on the way to the table.

It's a fun thing to watch. It kind of freaks me out at home - mainly because I would be merely guessing at this point. Any ideas?

Greek Vegetable Casserole Recipe (Briam)

Now that it is lent, I will be making this a lot. I bring it to lenten potlucks at my church and I make it all the time at home. Here's a recipe I use - I do change up the vegetables sometimes depending on what I can find. I might omit eggplant, for example, and I would replace it with two additional zucchini.

Ingredients:​

• 2 medium zucchinis, sliced
  • 2 eggplants, sliced
  • 4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
  • 1 large red onion, sliced
  • 1 bell pepper (any color), sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 large ripe tomatoes, sliced or 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 tbsp oregano, dried
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled (optional)

Instructions:​

1. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and lightly oil a large baking dish.
  2. Prepare the vegetables: Slice the zucchinis, eggplants, potatoes, onions, and bell peppers into even pieces. If using fresh tomatoes, slice them as well; otherwise, have your can of diced tomatoes ready.
  3. Layer the vegetables in the dish: Start with a layer of potatoes at the bottom, followed by eggplants, zucchinis, onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes. Sprinkle each layer with minced garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Repeat the layering process until all the vegetables are used.
  4. Season and oil: Once all the vegetables are layered, drizzle them with olive oil and add a final sprinkle of salt, pepper, and dried oregano. For a touch of freshness, add the chopped parsley over the top.
  5. Bake: Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, remove the foil and continue baking for another 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft and slightly caramelized on the edges.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back