1 - 4 of 4 Posts

greggd12

I'm so curious to see how much everyone knows about Greek geography. Personally, I know very little so it's super interesting to see how actual Greeks did with these questions.

Deborah

That was really funny; thank you for sharing! But - it is not unusual because traditionally Greek families would only go at the holidays from Athens to their family’s island of origin and back. My guess is that other than young men’s summer jaunts to Mykonos, “island - hopping”, particularly outside of specific island groups, was something created by tourism in the ‘60’s. Btw, I only got Mt. Olympus, Mani and Gavdos right! 😳

Reactions: blopez34

blopez34

That was really funny; thank you for sharing! But - it is not unusual because traditionally Greek families would only go at the holidays from Athens to their family’s island of origin and back. My guess is that other than young men’s summer jaunts to Mykonos, “island - hopping”, particularly outside of specific island groups, was something created by tourism in the ‘60’s. Btw, I only got Mt. Olympus, Mani and Gavdos right! 😳
I only for three right as well ahaha

k_tsoukalas

This is interesting! In general, I love the Easy Greek videos. I wonder how I would do with United States geography.

48 years ago, Turkey invaded Cyprus

This is one of the saddest stories in Greek history. 48 years ago on July 15, 1974, Turkey invaded Cyprus and displaced and killed huge portions of the Greek populations and it continuously illegally occupies northern Cyprus to this day. To this day, there are abandoned Greek homes in Northern Cyprus that people are never able to return to. There is still a UN occupied border between Cyprus and Turkish occupied Cyprus, which is one of the only UN occupied borders left in the world.

Here is how Ancient Greeks celebrated the summer solstice

Perhaps this will give you some inspiration for your own celebration of the solstice! In many different ancient societies, solstices are an extremely important, including Ancient Greece. To celebrate the solstice, the ancient Greeks held a festival each year. The summer solstice was also used as a signifier as to win the Olympic games would be held.

Trailer for Smyrna, Greek American historical drama

I am so excited to see this movie! It beautifully depicts the crisis of Smyrna, and shows the lives of those that were affected by the genocide. Let me know what you think of this trailer, and if you're thinking to watch it as well. I'm currently trying to find a link for the full movie online, but having some trouble.

Why you wouldnt survive life in Ancient Greece

Is Ancient Greece actually as great as it seemed? We always talk about the great accomplishments of Ancient Greeks but fail to talk about the fact that there was so much slavery and war during the time. It was a dangerous place where many people were forced into violent wars between the Ancient Greek City States. This is the less talked about truth!

Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter