1 - 3 of 3 Posts

kosta_karapinotis

What do people here do to celebrate their name days? Most people barely even remember all the name days, and last year I almost forgot about it. But I know that some people love to honor their name day. I am curious what people do. I have a friend who tries to go to church if there is a service. Other friends go out for dinner, as if they are celebrating a birthday.

Jawge

What do people here do to celebrate their name days? Most people barely even remember all the name days, and last year I almost forgot about it. But I know that some people love to honor their name day. I am curious what people do. I have a friend who tries to go to church if there is a service. Other friends go out for dinner, as if they are celebrating a birthday.
I go to church as I do most Sundays. We used to get a flower but that stopped.

Xpisto

When growing up (I am now 85) I never knew anyone's B'day. We only celebrated name days, and they were big house party events with lots of food, music, dancing and drinks with relatives and friends. My name day was easy to remember since my name is Xpristos (Christ). If you are guessing, it is Christmas day. Those parties seem to have gone by the wayside. In fact I don't recall going to any name day parties after my dad died in 1957. And, I don't recall either of my sisters who married Greek boys ever celebrated name days.

How do you choose a name day?

I am wondering how you guys all choose a name day to celebrate. For example, I have a friend named John, and there are multiple saints that have that name. He said he chose the saint that resonated the most with him. I have another friend, also named John, who celebrated a different one because that is the one that the parents had selected. How do you know what the right choice is?

When does Greek Lent start?

I know that Greek Easter is a week after Western Easter this year - sometime in Mid April. I actually observe Western Easter, but I love Greek cooking and culture, so I joined the forum.

I want to learn more about the religious side of things for Greeks. I know that lent is coming up, does anyone know when it starts? I am talking about Greek Lent. I might borrow some Greek lenten recipes as time goes on for my own lenten journey... But I will post on that when the time comes.

Do Greeks Celebrate Halloween?

I know that Halloween isn't something that is traditionally Greek, and that is true in other places in Europe, too. However, I have noticed in my travels that some countries have been embracing it. Is this the case in Greece or do Greeks mostly ignore it?

Kalikantzaros - Spooky Christmas Tradition

I am learning a bit more about Greek Christmas traditions, and I just bumped into something pretty spooky - the kalikantzaros, which are Christmas goblins. What really strikes me as that they aren't cutesy Christmas goblins. They appear to be pretty mean! Does anyone know more about them? They are a part of folklore not only in Greece apparently, but also in Serbia, Bulgaria, etc. I would love for you guys to share what you know about them.

Marriage between cousins surprisingly common in Bronze Age Greece -study

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube