1 - 4 of 4 Posts

acamp7

I just can't get enough of these Greek history videos!! Please feel free to share more :)

JayJayT

This is a good one! Each time I watch it, I retain something new.

Reactions: dubai_suzie

dubai_suzie

There's so much to learn about Alexander the Great especially...I need to find a good documentary about him

k_tsoukalas

This is one of my favorite documentaries about Ancient Greece. It's stunning and so informative!

The Battle Between The Walls 392 BCE

In February 392 BCE, blood flowed through the streets of Corinth. The citizens of this great metropolis had turned on one another in an act of unforgiving bloodshed. Those in favour of continuing the war with Sparta initiated the violence and those advocating for peace were their victims. Sickened by the slaughter; two Corinthian men, Pasimelus and Alcimenes fled the city. Risking life and limb they escaped the carnage by swimming along a swollen watercourse, heading for the Spartan base at Sikyon.

To learn more follow the link below

https://www.historicworld.co.uk/pos...a-down-a-peg-or-two-the-corinthian-war-part-7

Where the name “Greece” comes from

Many people might be surprised to find out that Greek people don’t actually call Greece, “Greece.” They use the word Hellas/Hellada. this is the word for Greece, in the native tongue. Greece comes from the Latin word “Graecia” which was first used by the Romans. It then spread all across the world, which is why many different countries called Greece, Greece instead of Hellada.

Did you know that dozens of ancient theaters are still operating in Greece?

Theater was a huge part of the ancient Greek civilization, and it's still important in modern Greece today. Greeks loves theater, and you were always see flyers for different shows going on. Many of these are presented in ancient amphitheatres that were built thousands of years ago. If you're in Greece, I really recommend that you check one out. There are even plays for young children.

Here is a list of showings around Greece: https://parallaximag.gr/theatro

You can use a google translate browser add on to translate the page.

The statue of Kolokotronis

Built in 1895, the statue of Kolokotronis stands in Athens near the public university. The statue was built in honor of him and his victory in the independence from the Ottoman Empire in liberating Greece. He is known as one of the most famous figures in Greek history, and one of the pivotal figures in creating the modern Greece that we know of today. There are many monuments of him all over the country, but the one in Athens is perhaps the most iconic. I recommend that you visit if you’re in the area.
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube