1 - 2 of 2 Posts

nm1999

Reactions: acamp7

acamp7

Have you heard about the Macedonian Museum of Contemporary Art in Thessaloniki?

This museum is lesser known but I've heard amazing things from friends who have visited! There is a very interesting exhibit that is currently being put on titled "Visualizing humanity." It is the first project by the Network of Contemporary Culture Museums of the Hellenic Ministry of Culture and Sports. I really would love to visit this exhibit since it showcases the phases of life and culture, mainly inspired by important moments in Greek history. There are four "chapters" in the exhibition, my favorite concept (whiteout seeing it of course) is Feels Like Home. :)

Allatini Villa is a baroque piece of Greek history in Thessaloniki

Allatini Villa definitely sticks out when you look at the rest of the buildings in Thessaloniki. This building is in the baroque architecture style and was built by an Italian architect names Vitaliano Poselli for a wealthy family who wanted a vacation home. Throughout the years, the building has been transformed for many different purposes. This video does a quick overview, and shows you the building from the outside but does not provide much detail. If anyone has more info, I would love to know.

You can learn to play the The Lyre of Apollo at the Seikilo Museum in Thessaloniki

This museum is probably one of the most unique ones that I've seen. It's pretty small, but it's packed with many rich activities and experiences. One of the coolest ones that I would love to try is learning how to play the Lyre from a professional artist. Before you would like to participate, you will need to let the museum know that you will be visiting and that you are interested. No prior music experience is required!

More info

Calling all artists! Submit your documentaries to the Thessaloniki documentary film festival

The Thessaloniki Documentary Film Festival is an annual international competition that showcases artists from around the world that create some of the best documentaries. The submission ends pretty soon on January 12! Your documentary must be over 70 minutes long to be eligible for entry into the film festival. I am excited too see all of the submissions and see who ends up winning the award! Best of luck to all of the filmmakers. Here is the link for more information https://www.athina984.gr/en/2022/01...st-apo-to-festival-ntokimanter-thessalonikis/

You should rent a bike to tour Thessaloniki!

Many people don't think to rent a bike to see the city, but I think it's one of the best things you can do since Thessaloniki is right on the water and you will get some amazing views. Unlike different cities nearby, like Kavala, Thessaloniki doesn't have that many hills and is very easy to get around on the bike. I just recommend that you're careful of drivers, as Greek drivers can be a bit aggressive on the road. When I last visited, it was a few years back so I don't remember which bike rental company we used. So if anyone recommendations please drop them below.
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter