1 - 3 of 3 Posts

mastichas09

So, I am slowly figuring out what my fasting style is going to be. I am going to start by fasting on Fridays. I am putting together a list of foods I can have during fasting days. I decided to do completely vegan this one day a week. Here is my list of foods:

- Lentils and rice
- Lentil soup
- Anything with chickpeas
- Salads dressed with lemon juice or vinegar (if it is a no oil day)
- Breads - I am going to shoot for multigrain on fasting days
- Lots of vegetables in general
- Occasionally eat fruit

What do you guys do?

Lentil soup is one of my top choices! I have to admit, though, that I am not so great at omitting oil. When I make it, I sauté the onions and vegetables in olive oil. Fasting for me is a work in progress for sure.

I know what you mean. I have been trying to fast twice a week and it's been easier said than done. The oil situation, surprisingly, is harder than I thought. I am doing it, though. I have been using water or veggie stock to help sauté things. It isn't quite the same, though.

What do you serve for Greek Easter?

With Greek Easter just around the corner, I'm getting excited to celebrate with family and friends. One of my favorite parts of this holiday is the delicious feast we enjoy together. I'm curious to hear what dishes everyone serves at their Greek Easter gatherings.

Whether you have cherished family recipes passed down through generations or you're trying something new this year, I'd love to hear about it. From traditional favorites like lamb and tzatziki to mouthwatering desserts like baklava and tsoureki, every dish adds to the festive atmosphere.

So, what's on your Greek Easter menu this year? Are there any must-have dishes or special treats that you look forward to? Feel free to share recipes, tips, or simply your excitement for the upcoming celebration. Let's swap ideas and inspire each other to make this Greek Easter memorable!

Us? We are grilling a leg of lamb and serving it with lemon potatoes and fasolakia. For dessert we are doing some kind of a chocolate cake and of course koulourakia.

Stuffed grape leaves - how much filling?

I haven't made stuffed grape leaves in a while and I have some questions.

First of all, I am having a hard time judging how much filling to put in each leaf? I have a friend who helped me and tried to explain. She'd put a teaspoon of filling in the leaf, then add or subtract more after looking at it. She's quick rolling, and I have no idea how she knows how much filling.

And she really couldn't explain it - just said that you have to look at it and it's by feel. It sounds like my yiayia and she's younger than me! I told her that and she just shrugged. She tried to talk me through it as we were rolling together but it seemed so random to me.

No Meat Dolmades (Stuffed Grape Leaves) Recipe

It has taken me a long time to get vegetarian dolmades to the point where I enjoy them. Here is my recipe. It uses a lot of oil, so strict fasters shouldn't eat them. But most people aren't super strict so I would even say these are good for lent!

Ingredients:​

• 1 jar of grape leaves (about 60-70 leaves)
  • 1 cup short-grain rice
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
  • Juice of 2 lemons
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Water

Instructions:​

1. Prepare the Grape Leaves:
    • If using grape leaves preserved in brine, rinse them well under cold water to remove excess salt. If using fresh grape leaves, blanch them in boiling water for about 1 minute, then drain and rinse with cold water. Trim off any stems.
  2. Prepare the Filling:
    • In a large bowl, combine the rice, chopped onion, minced garlic, chopped dill, chopped mint, chopped parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Mix well to combine.
  3. Fill and Roll the Grape Leaves:
    • Place a grape leaf flat on a clean work surface, shiny side down, with the stem end facing you. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the rice filling onto the center of the leaf, near the stem end.
    • Fold the bottom of the leaf over the filling, then fold in the sides, and roll tightly into a small cylinder.
    • Repeat with the remaining grape leaves and filling, arranging the rolled dolmades seam-side down in a large pot or deep skillet, packing them snugly together.
  4. Cook the Dolmades:
    • Once all the dolmades are rolled and packed in the pot, drizzle with a little olive oil and lemon juice.
    • Pour enough water into the pot to just cover the dolmades.
    • Place a heatproof plate or lid directly on top of the dolmades to keep them submerged during cooking.
    • Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer gently for about 45-60 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the grape leaves are tender.

Current food trends in Greece?

I understand that Greece is just like other countries where there might be food trends, new dishes, etc to enjoy.

I'm looking to understand more about the latest trends that are currently shaping it. I'm particularly interested in how traditional Greek recipes are being reimagined by modern chefs, how regional variations are gaining popularity, or if there's a rise in any particular ingredients or cooking methods.

Is anyone here keeping tabs on contemporary movements in Greek food? Maybe you've dined at a restaurant that surprised you with a modern twist on a Greek classic, or you've come across new food blogs with innovative recipes.

The cuisine of Greece is as much about the traditional recipes we all love as it is the trends and the way the cuisine moves forward!

Traditional Greek soups in Greece?

Most of the Greeks I know are from the United States - so it's been a few generations since a lot of them spent extended time in Greece.

From what I understand, Greek cuisine kind of changes. From what I can tell, in the United States, the most popular soup is Egg and Lemon soup (avgolemono) but in Greece, I don't see to as much or rather, hear of it as much.

What are the most popular soups in Greece?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back