1 - 2 of 2 Posts
I can't believe Thanksgiving is almost here. Typically, when I bake a turkey, I tend to just use salt, pepper, and butter. I stuff the cavity with a quartered onion and some herbs.

This year, I think I want to step it up and make the Turkey a bit more "Greek".

Has anyone done this? I was hitting of brushing ladolemono on the skin and inside the cavity. I make my ladolemono with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, and a pinch of thyme.

k_tsoukalas

I can't believe Thanksgiving is almost here. Typically, when I bake a turkey, I tend to just use salt, pepper, and butter. I stuff the cavity with a quartered onion and some herbs.

This year, I think I want to step it up and make the Turkey a bit more "Greek".

Has anyone done this? I was hitting of brushing ladolemono on the skin and inside the cavity. I make my ladolemono with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, and a pinch of thyme.
My sister stuffs the inside cavity with a bunch of Greek flavors. Fresh oregano, lemon, onion ... I am not sure she puts garlic. I think she does some other stuff too, like poultry seasoning. She does a combination. What did you end up doing this year?

Greek Methods of Cooking Question...

In looking through Greek cookbooks, I have noticed that there are a lot similarities between recipes. For example, I found a Gigantes Plaki (baked gigantes beans in tomato sauce) that looked identical to a baked beans recipe that uses lima beans.

That is just one example, but there are many instances. Lentil soup recipes look very similar to white bean soup recipes. Some stuffed cabbage recipes look very similar to dolmades recipes.

Is this a common thing? It seems that I can simplify my efforts to learning about Greek cooking if I think about recipe types and understand they are all similar... what do you guys think?

Making Greek baked beans advice...

I saw a recipe for Greek baked beans in tomato sauce and I want to make it.

It calls for dried gigantes beans, which I can't find. Can I use any dried bean? I was thinking dried, white lima beans. I also think I read in another thread that someone here uses butter beans? Can I use canned beans? That would make things so much easier...

Quick Greek Dinner Ideas

Many of the Greek dishes I know how to cook are very time consuming for me to put together, like stuffed grape leaves and spanakopita.

Sometimes, I want to eat Greek food, but I don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Can you think of some easy Greek suppers besides salads to eat? I cook village salad and cabbage salad, but am also open for suggestions for different salads. I know I could always serve souvlaki with them. I know that is fairly quick, aside from the marinating.

What do you use for grill seasoning?

I usually just use ladolemono, but I am looking for different ideas. This is to grill pretty much anything. I either do salt and pepper or ladolemono - looking for new ideas.

I have a friend who makes a rub with Greek spices, but didn't tell me what she puts in it. I've had it, it tastes like there's oregano, a little garlic, and something with heat. Like maybe ground red pepper?

Cooking with Greek Saffron

A friend brought me back some saffron from Greece!

For the life of me, I don't actually remember seeing any Greek recipes with saffron. I want to use it authentically if possible.

Are there any ways of using it that are authentically Greek?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube