1 - 3 of 3 Posts

auroracoor1

The there day, I tried to follow a spanakopita recipe that I actually shared here, and I ran out of spinach! So, I actually ran down to the store to get some. However, I had kale on hand, and I wondered the whole time I was driving if I should have just used the kale. I didn't need much more spinach - just a few handfuls.

What do you think? What would you have done? I already mixed the filling otherwise I would have just put everything in a smaller pan.

Laura48

The there day, I tried to follow a spanakopita recipe that I actually shared here, and I ran out of spinach! So, I actually ran down to the store to get some. However, I had kale on hand, and I wondered the whole time I was driving if I should have just used the kale. I didn't need much more spinach - just a few handfuls.

What do you think? What would you have done? I already mixed the filling otherwise I would have just put everything in a smaller pan.
I’d give it a go just to find out. Kale can be a bit tough though, but it could be chopped finely.

Deborah

As mentioned above, kale chopped finely (no stems) would have worked. Cretan cuisine often uses wild greens (χόρτα ) plucked literally from the mountainside….admittedly some cook up better than others! For supermarket substitutes for χόρτα, you could use kale, dandelion or mustard greens. Since each green has it’s own flavor, I’d double-check the seasoning.

Reactions: Laura48

Briam Greek Roasted Vegetables Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

One of my favorites elements of Greek cooking is the wealth of hearty vegetable dishes, and this Briam recipe is an absolute classic. It is filled with flavor, and you can either serve this as a side dish or a meal when served with feta cheese and bread. The Cooking Greek cookbook has a great version of it and has a classic combination of ingredients, like eggplant, zucchini, and potatoes. It's an easy dish to put together and I like to make a big pan of it and eat it over the course of a few days.

Check out the Cooking Greek Cookbook by Worldwide Greeks out on Hardcover, Paperback and eBook here!

briam-recipe.jpg

Tiropita Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

Making tiropita at home is fun and a lot easier than it may seem - especially when doing it in a 9 x 13 pan. Although I have used different combinations of cheeses, the version I like the best includes imported feta and then a soft cheese like anthotyro if I can find it, cottage cheese if I can't. I live in the United States and there is a Greek store near me that has that cheese, but I find that cottage cheese is just as good. This recipe is light and flaky and makes a great appetizer, snack, light meal (when served with soup or salad) and I've even had it for breakfast!

Check out the Cooking Greek Cookbook by Worldwide Greeks out on Hardcover, Paperback and eBook here!

tiropita-recipe.jpg

Making Gluten Free Pasta for Greek Recipes

I have some people in my life who need a gluten free diet. When I have them over, I like to accommodate. However, it is easier said than done sometimes. I find that most other people don't even notice if I sneak a gluten free pasta in my Greek food here and there. I know I could always substitute rice for some dishes, but in some cases I really do feel I need to use the pasta.

I have a hard time finding the gluten free pasta that I need, so I was thinking to make it. I make pasta with gluten all the time but my first gluten free attempt was a disaster. It fell apart and I felt I didn't know how to control the dough.

Do you guys have any advice?

Souvlaki Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

Souvlaki is one of my favorite dishes to make (and eat)! At home, I tend to make it with boneless chicken breast, but when I go out I tend to order pork. I like to marinate the meat for at least a few hours, but I have found that overnight is best. Once it's done marinating, I add pepper and onion chunks to the skewers for extra flavor. Occasionally, I make them without the vegetables, but that is only if I don't have any on hand. The recipe from the Cooking Greek cookbook is almost identical to my method.

pork-souvlaki-recipe.jpg

Moussaka Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

One of my favorite Greek dishes is Moussaka, but I don't make it at home a lot. One of the issues is that I haven't found a great recipe, and I know that working with eggplant can be tricky. In the past, people have tried to explain to me how to make it, but their explanations have been confusing. I need a proper recipe that is easy to understand. It looks like Chef Pemi put together a great version of it that even someone like me, who has been intimidated by making my own moussaka, can follow. Not only that, but it looks yummy!

moussaka-recipe.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube