1 - 2 of 2 Posts

seleanor

So much of Cretan culture is based around food and agriculture that the food is just amazing! The produce is so fresh and the olive oil is one of the secrets of the rich and flavourful food. Much of the food is similar to the rest of the Greek cuisine but there are many staples such as Dakos, fried snails, and speciality Cretan cheese that are not found on other islands and in other regions of Greece. If you're a foodie, you need to visit Crete!

k_tsoukalas

This is beautiful, just like my experience in Crete, one of the best things about this island is experiencing the traditional food. Yum! Great video.

Maleviziotikos is a beautiful and energetic Cretan dance!

I have never seen this beautiful Cretan dance live but I'm sure this video does it justice! As you can see, the dance is very energetic and seems to be very celebratory.I can imagine that it takes a lot of cardio and stamina to preform for a long period of time. I would love to know more information about when this dance is used, and what it signifies in the Cretan. I am not Cretan myself, so I am not too sure.

What do you need to know before visiting Chania, Crete!

When you're visiting Chania, I personally recommend sticking around the city. The restaurants are fantastic and it's also a city that's right by the water so you'll be able to go to the beach whenever you like. The nightlife is also pretty great, and there's really talented musicians who play live music in the summertime. This video outlines everything about the city perfectly. If you've been, drop some recommendations in the comments!

Did you know that most Cretan restaurants will serve you raki and watermelon after your meal?

Whether you ask for it or not, most restaurants in Crete will serve you raki and watermelon free of charge after your meal. This is part of the Cretan culture and is considered very hospitable and philotimo. I personally always looked forward to it and it was a great part of the dining experience.

Where is the best place to have a secluded and romantic wedding in Crete?

My cousin is looking for some romantic and secluded wedding locations in Crete. I am wondering if any of you have been to weddings and cream, or gotten married there yourselves. The wedding won’t be religious, so it doesn’t need to be in any specific place like a church. I am open to any suggestions! Thanks everyone!

Visit the windmills in Lasithi Crete

These windmills are one of the most unique attractions on the island. They were a great source of sustainable energy, and provided irrigation to water plants in the summer months. There aren't many windmills left, and they currently stand as more of a tourist attraction than an energy source. If you would like to visit, they are located on the north end of the Lasithi plateau.

1656470340077.png
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter