1 - 2 of 2 Posts

seleanor

So much of Cretan culture is based around food and agriculture that the food is just amazing! The produce is so fresh and the olive oil is one of the secrets of the rich and flavourful food. Much of the food is similar to the rest of the Greek cuisine but there are many staples such as Dakos, fried snails, and speciality Cretan cheese that are not found on other islands and in other regions of Greece. If you're a foodie, you need to visit Crete!

k_tsoukalas

This is beautiful, just like my experience in Crete, one of the best things about this island is experiencing the traditional food. Yum! Great video.

The most beautiful limani (port) is in Chania, Crete

One of the best things about visiting Chania, Crete is dining and walking around the beautiful port. The city is right exactly on the port, making the perfect place to do pretty much everything. If you're lucky enough to have the ability to get a boat chartered, I highly recommend sailing to different parts of the island. It's one of the best ways to visit the island and you can make stops along the way and swim. Have you ever been?

This Cretan food is the original farm to table!

I can't think of a more authentic and traditional way to eat Greek food. People in the United States would call this farm to table, but I just call it a regular day in Crete. I love the traditional way of cooking, it is so healthy, family oriented, and sustainable. I really hope that slowly the world starts to wake up and that we return back to this way of living and eating our food. Cheers to the Cretans who are keeping this culture alive.

Did you know that most Cretan restaurants will serve you raki and watermelon after your meal?

Whether you ask for it or not, most restaurants in Crete will serve you raki and watermelon free of charge after your meal. This is part of the Cretan culture and is considered very hospitable and philotimo. I personally always looked forward to it and it was a great part of the dining experience.

How to spend 5 days in Crete

Crete is one of those places that requires at least 5 days, but in my opinion it's best to go for at least one week, especially if you want to travel to all of the different cities. As always with Crete, I recommend renting a car and traveling to the different parts. This video shows a good outline of what can be done in a few days, the only thing that would take away is visiting Spinalonga island, in my opinion its not worth it and there's not much to see, only if youre very interested in the history.

Potamos beach in Malia harbor Crete is a quiet escape

Potamos beach is a very small beach in Malia Harbor. The beach is great because there aren't many organize beach clubs, meaning that you're able to just come to the beach with your own towels and umbrellas and stay for free. There are usually people walking around selling things, and you can always walk by it's the nearest store to pick up some cold bottle drinks. I highly recommend speech if you're looking for something more low-key and quiet.
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter