1 - 2 of 2 Posts

efhernandez_

I know this meal isn't traditionally Cretan, but you can always tell the quality of an islands food through it's street style food. This was the best kalamaki I've ever had!!!! I also ate a dakos salad but I was so hungry that I didn't take pics. Yamas! What is your favorite Cretan food?

Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 11.34.07 PM.png

k_tsoukalas

I have had so many amazing meals on Crete. This looks delicious!

What do you need to know before visiting Chania, Crete!

When you're visiting Chania, I personally recommend sticking around the city. The restaurants are fantastic and it's also a city that's right by the water so you'll be able to go to the beach whenever you like. The nightlife is also pretty great, and there's really talented musicians who play live music in the summertime. This video outlines everything about the city perfectly. If you've been, drop some recommendations in the comments!

Understanding the Cretan vs standard Greek dialects

Cretan is a very distinct dialect that is spoken on the island of Crete. Many think that it is reminiscent of Cypriot Greek but in my opinion they are pretty different. Having spent some time in Greece two summers ago, I appreciate how different all of the different dialects in Greece are. So many aspects of the Cretan dialect reflect how unique the Cretan culture is. Crete has a strong military history and background as well as a strong agricultural industry. All of these are present in the dialect!

Potamos beach in Malia harbor Crete is a quiet escape

Potamos beach is a very small beach in Malia Harbor. The beach is great because there aren't many organize beach clubs, meaning that you're able to just come to the beach with your own towels and umbrellas and stay for free. There are usually people walking around selling things, and you can always walk by it's the nearest store to pick up some cold bottle drinks. I highly recommend speech if you're looking for something more low-key and quiet.

The most beautiful limani (port) is in Chania, Crete

One of the best things about visiting Chania, Crete is dining and walking around the beautiful port. The city is right exactly on the port, making the perfect place to do pretty much everything. If you're lucky enough to have the ability to get a boat chartered, I highly recommend sailing to different parts of the island. It's one of the best ways to visit the island and you can make stops along the way and swim. Have you ever been?

Local farms to visit while in Crete!

Visiting local farms is one of the best way to see the real agriculture production processes in Greece. Crete is one of the most agricultural islands in the country, and is responsible for producing many olives and wheat that is sent to the mainland and other parts of the world. If you're lucky, some of these farms will have food tasting and tours that are available during the summer months. Some of the most known farms are Agreco Farm, Cretan farm in Hersonissos and the Cretan Olive Oil Farm.
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter