1 - 5 of 5 Posts

redsoxdw_

Travelling is always tricky when you're unaware of the small cultural differences of each new place that you're visiting. I think it's pretty important to take note so that you don't offend others and get yourself in a sticky situations. Here is my advice

1. Definitely don't open your hand and show your palm. Be extra careful when you're giving high-fives or trying to show "stop" with your hand. This is considered very disrespectful in Greece.
2. Be extremely polite and always greet others when you enter or exit a place, including stores and restaurants. Greeks think it's very rude when you don't say hello.
3. Always offer to pay for others when you are sharing a meal or a coffee. This is common courtesy in Greece.

If you can think of any more, please leave them in the thread!

Sandyrigo

Tipping is usually around 5%.

k_tsoukalas

When tipping I usually use cash, and I handle tips by rounding up. So if my bill was 47 Euro, I would give 50 and tell them to keep the change.

I never knew about showing your palm! Thanks for sharing that one, I'll be careful.

ellinasgolfer0320

The most important meal of the day is lunch (eaten around 2), following that from 2:00-3:00 you need to be quiet. People take this period seriously and will not be happy if you're too noisy. I have heard stories of people having the cops called on them for not being quiet.

Reactions: greggd12

greggd12

The most important meal of the day is lunch (eaten around 2), following that from 2:00-3:00 you need to be quiet. People take this period seriously and will not be happy if you're too noisy. I have heard stories of people having the cops called on them for not being quiet.
This is an excellent point! And very important for people to remind their children about. Thank you for sharing, most people tend to forget.

What is this that we call love? Sung by Sophia Loren

This is one of the most iconic Greek songs from cinema. The lyrics translate to "what is this that we call love." It is sung by the famous Italian actress Sophia Loren in a very popular American movie called Boy on a Dolphin that is set in Greece. Her voice is absolutely incredible, and her Greek is even better. This is a true masterpiece that all hellenophiles should know about!

Koufeta or boubounieres are the most popular Greek wedding favors

Koufeta which are also called boubounieres are Greek wedding and baptism favors. They are usually nuts covered in chocolate and wrapped in soul with a ribbon. The candies are usually white or pastel colored. They are handed out as a favour at the end of the wedding or baptism, and as a way to say thank you or remember the wedding or baptism. I see more and more families being a bit more creative with their favorites. Last year I went to a wedding where a small jars of honey or hand it out, it was very neat.

Should I still get a gift if I cant make it to the wedding?

I was invited to a Greek wedding this summer, but unfortunately I am unable to go because my work schedule is just a bit too hectic. The couple has a registry, which makes me wonder if I should still get a gift even if I'm not able to go to the wedding. Does anyone know what the expectation or custom is for a Greek weddings? The couple is from the United States, but they are both Greek American and having their wedding in Greece. I am super bummed out that I am missed, and I would say that I'm relatively close to the groom, we worked together previously.

Listen to this beautiful song covered by Xaris Alexiou

Xaris Alexiou does a beautiful rendition of the song Barbagiannakakis. It seems that this video clips from a movie, so if anyone knows where it's from I would really appreciate it. I believe the song was originally written and sung by Andonis Diamantidis but I could be wrong, since many songs have just been passed around. This particular piece is a classic from Asia Minor.

These are the most common words in Greek

This list is extremely helpful for anyone visiting Greece. Learning a bit of Greek can be a little intimidating, especially since some of the sounds don't exist in other languages. I suggest that you at least learn a few words to get by, since it is also a kind gesture when visiting a foreign country. Let me know if you like this video! And if you think these words are easy to learn!

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter