1 - 3 of 3 Posts

acamp7

While all olives popular over many different regions in Greece, Crete has the best olives! Olives found in Crete are much smaller and they're called "elitses" or little olives. They are also known as koroneiki, which is their official word. You can also find these types of olives in Messinia, Greece. In Crete, they have many different variations, colours and flavours but many are just a bit smaller than the regular olives that you may find in y our supermarket.

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, we did know LOL! Thanks for reminding everyone!

tsakistes-greek-olives-720x480.jpeg

Here is some info as well:

k_tsoukalas

Crete has many different kinds of olives. The above, I thought, are the ones used to make olive oil. Is that true or am I thinking of a different olive?

Cretan agriculture is top notch!

Crete has developed some of the most innovative agricultural technology to support their booming business and exports. The majority of Crete's exports are agricultural, and namely olive oil. Many of Crete's natural resources such as water are cultivated to support the industry, almost 80% of Crete's water is used for agriculture. These farmers are just one example of what the island is doing to sustain themselves.

Guided Hikes Down the Samarian Gorge?

I am thinking of putting the Samaria Gorge on my Greek Bucket List but I feel like I need more information. In my research, I can see that one should start at the top, hike down, and then allow some time to explore the village at the end and get something to eat, maybe even sit at the beach. So, this seems like an all day thing? It seems totally doable and I am in decent shape, but I am nervous and need more information.

Are there any guided tours that will take me through the process?

Where Exactly is the Cave of Zeus?

Great Area in Crete for a Wedding?

Some of you may remember that I am planning a wedding in Greece. So excited!

I think I might want to look at the island of Crete for it because my guest list will likely be pretty large, and I feel like the island has a ton of options and things to do.

Now, I am wondering which area to focus on. Chania? Heraklion? Something else? Most of the guest list will be coming from other places, so we will need a large enough area with plenty of options for places to stay and things to do.

Where can I eat Cretan food outside of Crete?

Cretan cuisine is some of the best that I’ve ever tried. I don’t visit the island too often, but I do visit mainland Greece. I have two young kids, and the trip to Athens is already enough for them. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on Cretan cuisine in Athens or Attiki specifically, but anywhere else on the mainland would do (Corinth for example). I would love to try out some spots. 😊
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube