1 - 4 of 4 Posts

nm1999

Greeks have been using herbs for medicinal purposes for generations, and these recipes and tips have been passed down from generation to generation. Greek spearmint or mint is one of the best ways to cure nausea and an upset stomach. Of course, if you have a serious medical illness you should seek the help of a doctor because mint is not a replacement for medical treatment. Next time you feel ill and nauseous, try adding mint to your herbal tea and see what happens!

Greeks have been using herbs for medicinal purposes for generations, and these recipes and tips have been passed down from generation to generation. Greek spearmint or mint is one of the best ways to cure nausea and an upset stomach. Of course, if you have a serious medical illness you should seek the help of a doctor because mint is not a replacement for medical treatment. Next time you feel ill and nauseous, try adding mint to your herbal tea and see what happens!
All the herbs in our kitchen have medicinal qualities! It's kind of fascinating. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: mastichas09

mastichas09

I completely agree, I love to get fresh mint and put it in the freezer for whenever I'm feeling sick!

k_tsoukalas

Mint is so good for so many things! I use it all the time, both for flavor and when I am not feeling well.

Tiropitakia Recipe Just Like the Street Food?

I had a delicious tiropitakia recently in Athens on the street and it was sooo good - better than other versions I have had. First of all, the phyllo was so crispy I don't know how they do it! It was also bigger than other ones I have had. When I make them at home I think I will make them bigger.

My question is, how did they get it so crispy? I always use butter but something was different about this. Could they be using a different type of butter? Are they mixing the butter with olive oil?

Then, there is a question of the cheeses. It wasn't Feta - it was creamier. They maybe put a little Feta in it, but the mixture was a lot creamier than I've had. What cheese could be responsible for this? It kind of had a mild, creamy goat cheese type of flavor. I also thought I tasted a touch of nutmeg.... I never thought of that.

Any thoughts you have on how I can recreate this are appreciated!

Making My Own Phyllo?

I have been having trouble with frozen phyllo - it sticks when I take it out of the package. I will try to switch to a different brand, but I am wondering if I should actually give making my wn phyllo a try? Do you guys have any tips for me?

I found this recipe - does it look good to you guys? I have never done this before:

Tips for Working with Phyllo?

As I am reconnecting with cooking Greek food and tracking down some of my mother's old recipes (I lost most of them!) or recreating them through research, I realize I am rusty working with phyllo. Do you guys have any tips? In particular, the phyllo seems to be sticking together inside the package.

I enjoyed this video - do you guys have anything to add?

I have been thawing it on the counter and that I think is my first problem!

Do you have tips for working with phyllo?

I have been experimenting with Greek cooking for a few years now and I didn't have the guts to start trying to work with phyllo until recently - I tried to make baklava. I had all kinds of problems and I am hoping you guys have some tips to help me get the hang of it better. Here's a list of the issues I had:

1. Sheets were stuck together in the package
2. The phyllo started to dry out as I assembled the recipe
3. My pan was shorter than each sheet and I didn't know what to do with the exces

I don't know, am I doing something wrong?

Good Greek Recipes for Fall

Summer is (sadly) behind us and now I am starting to experiment with some foods that seem more appropriate for this time of year. Since I am getting more comfortable working with phyllo I thought I would try pita with squash. I found this recipe a little bit ago:

Thought I would also try to make this:

I tend to like heavier food at this time of year.

Does anyone else have any suggestions of dishes I should try?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter