1 - 2 of 2 Posts

auroracoor1

Milk soup sounds a bit strange to those who haven't heard of it before but its totally worth trying this recipe out! In Greek, this soup is called Matsi me Gala. It is a very old, traditional recipe that is still being served all over Greece but its not as popular now.

Ingredients
- 4 cups water
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 pound hilopites, orzo, or other pasta (fresh, if you can find it) – choose gluten free if following a gluten free diet
- 4 cups milk (goal milk is traditional, but any milk can be used)
- 3 tablespoons Greek olive oil

Add the water to a large pot and add a generous pinch of salt. Bring the water to a boil on high heat with the pot covered. Add the noodles and cook according to the package directions.

While the noodles cook, add the milk to another saucepan and heat gently over medium-low heat. Once the pasta is cooked about 3/4 of the way, add the heated milk to the large pot with the pasta and stir. Cook the ingredients together the rest of the way. Add olive oil just before serving.

Matsi-me-Gala-720x484.jpg

k_tsoukalas

It does sound odd - but it does have potential! I have never seen it while in Greece, do you know where they typically eat this? Or is it one of those things that people eat at home and you don't really see at restaurants?

How to spruce up your leftover keftedes!

I always find myself having leftover meatballs or keftedes need a bit of sprucing up the next day. What I like to do is make a tomato sauce with wine, and heat up the meatballs with the sauce so that they soak it up and don't stay dry. This is the recipe for the sauce

- sauté one onion and two garlic cloves with olive oil
- add half a jar of tomato paste
-add cumin, black pepper, ground clove and basil
-after all the spices have been cooked, add one cup of red wine
-once the wine is bubbling, add one jar of tomato sauce
-cook for about 20 minutes over medium heat

How to make thick and creamy Santorini fava!

Santorini fava is a classic staple in Santorini cuisine, and it has spread all over Greece. The dish is very simple to make, and taste even better when you use high-quality ingredients like Greek olive oil. It is a very budget friendly meal, and can stay in the fridge for a few days without going bad. It can get a bit dry so I suggest squeezing some lemon and adding a bit more olive oil if you're going to eat it over the course of a few days. Here is how you make it:

What should I put in my Greek seasoning blend?

I always love to make homemade seasoning blends because it’s so much cheaper and I can control exactly how much sodium is in the seasoning blend. I’ve seen many Greek blends online, but I wonder if you have any advice for some homemade blends. I’m sure that many will have oregano and black pepper, but I’m looking for some more suggestions. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Strawberry covered ekmek kadaïfi

This dessert is one of the best I’ve ever made! It’s a simple ekmek kadaïfi recipe that I found from google and I topped it off with pistachios and strawberries. It tastes just as good as it tastes.
B688E5EE-1414-4CCB-9F1A-1B6D37621EAD.jpeg

Its grilling season!

I’m so excited! This is the first day that I’ve been able to get outside and start grilling. I made some chicken, pork chops, and beef tenderloin seasoned with lemon and oregano. Is anyone else grilling this summer? 😎

CBC9304B-37FF-4E92-B0AA-7D2A11D52FFB.jpeg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter