1 - 2 of 2 Posts

auroracoor1

Milk soup sounds a bit strange to those who haven't heard of it before but its totally worth trying this recipe out! In Greek, this soup is called Matsi me Gala. It is a very old, traditional recipe that is still being served all over Greece but its not as popular now.

Ingredients
- 4 cups water
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 pound hilopites, orzo, or other pasta (fresh, if you can find it) – choose gluten free if following a gluten free diet
- 4 cups milk (goal milk is traditional, but any milk can be used)
- 3 tablespoons Greek olive oil

Add the water to a large pot and add a generous pinch of salt. Bring the water to a boil on high heat with the pot covered. Add the noodles and cook according to the package directions.

While the noodles cook, add the milk to another saucepan and heat gently over medium-low heat. Once the pasta is cooked about 3/4 of the way, add the heated milk to the large pot with the pasta and stir. Cook the ingredients together the rest of the way. Add olive oil just before serving.

Matsi-me-Gala-720x484.jpg

k_tsoukalas

It does sound odd - but it does have potential! I have never seen it while in Greece, do you know where they typically eat this? Or is it one of those things that people eat at home and you don't really see at restaurants?

Greek Kopanisti Ingredients

I thought I saw a kopanisti recipe that had yogurt but I don't see any. Most recipes have ingredients like this:
  • Feta cheese
  • Olive oil
  • red pepper flakes
  • garlic clove
  • roasted red peppers
Can I add a little Greek yogurt for consistency? I love the creaminess!

Making Greek Fish Soup with the Heads?

I was just reminiscing in another thread about how my family would use the fish heads (less expensive at the fish market when they were immigrants) to make Greek Fish Soup. I don't remember how my family made it!

I don't remember if they maybe made the broth first, took out what meat the could from the fish, and then added there fish if they could find it?

Has anyone made fish soup using the heads of the fish?

List of wild greens Greeks cook with

I have been researching Ikaria, one of the Blue Zones, and I know that one of the things that makes the food so healthy is the foraging. I know that they forage for food in A LOT of Greece, pretty much everywhere. So, it seems like a big part of the cuisine. I know that Greeks regular serve Horta and that can be a mix of greens. I thought I would make a list of wild greens that Greeks cook with - in some instances I know the Greek, but I don't always know the Greek word:

• Amaranth (vlita)
  • Purslane
  • Stinging Nettle (tsouknida)
  • Lamb's quarters (levethies)
  • Dandelion
Does anyone have anything to add?

Advice making a smaller pastitsio

I love pastitsio, but my recipe calls for making it in a huge pan (bigger than a 9 x 13 and I think even bigger than a lasagna pan). Sometimes, I don't want to make that much! I am trying to wrap my mind around how to reduce the portions. I know I could halve the recipe but some of the issue is that I make this dish by feel and don't always follow the recipe to a T.

I really want to make it in an 8 x 8 because this is the perfect amount for dinner with no leftover. Sometimes I don't even want leftovers and just would rather make the food from scratch.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube