1 - 5 of 5 Posts

redsoxdw_

Gifts aren't exchanged on December 24 or 25 in Greece, rather on January 6 which is known as Epiphany. Epiphany commemorate the baptism of Jesus in the Jordan River, seen as his manifestation to the world as the Son of God. In Greece, people give gifts to their close friends and family to commemorate the holiday.

ellinasgolfer0320

That's interesting! I've never met other Greeks who exchange gifts on January 6, and it makes sense that some do exchange gifts on January 6 because of some of the songs that are sung about that day (e.g. Simera ta fwta). Everyone I know did it on January first and St. Vasilios would bring you presents, not St. Nikolaus.

Some background on why I'm saying this - I lived in Greece during my high school years and some of my twenties (I'm in my early 30s now) and my wife (late 20s) was born and raised in Greece.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladydi25

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
I have never heard this tradition!

My family always opens stocking gifts on New Years day, other than that this is a very interesting Christmas tradition!

Reactions: Ladydi25

Patisqua

Yes, I knew this when I first went to Greece un 1975. Gifts (or money) is given on New Year’s Day. In Australia we always received money on New Year’s Day and Easter Sunday. I was also taught never repay a debt or pay bills on New Year’s Day - indicates you will be parting with money all year.
It's funny how each country adapts to being Greek in another country. We're very resourceful people

k_tsoukalas

This is interesting, my family adapted to the American way of doing things, to open gifts on Christmas Day. I sort of wish we kept the ways of Greece. Maybe I can bring the tradition back. :)

Relaxing Greek music instrumental

This is one of the best Greek music instrumentals that I like to listen to when Im reading and working at home! Geia mas to all of the world wide Greeks community who like to have kefi and play some great tunes. Please post some great instrumentals in the comments, I love a good bouzouki solo! Cheers :)

Merry Christmas to the Worldwide Greeks community!

Merry Christmas to everyone in the worldwide Greeks community! I am so happy that I have found a place where I can chat with others in this forum. I wish everyone a blessed Christmas and a very happy New Year. As the Greeks say, Xronia Polla! And let's not forget that today is the name day of anyone named Maria, Mario, Panagioti (please let me know if I am forgetting anyone). Xronia Polla to all of those celebrating their name days. 🎄

Sing some traditional Greek Christmas carols this holiday season!

Christmas carolling is a very popular tradition in Greece where are young kids go from door-to-door with their parents singing Christmas carols to neighbors, family, and friends. Sometimes, people will give the kids money or small gifts, or just enjoy their beautiful voices. This tradition seems to be dying down, but it is still in existence as it has been happening in Greece for many many generations. Also I assume it's not as popular during Covid. But nonetheless, people gather in their homes amongst themselves and sing to continue caring the Christmas cheer, even during these hard times.

Best traditional Greek artists to listen to this quarantine!

If you're in quarantine like me, you might find it useful to listen to some Greek tunes to relax. Some of the most popular older artists include Dalaras, Mitropanis, Alexiou, Glykeria, Terzis, and Kazantzakis. These are some of the classics and have a good mix of softer music and rebetika. If you're looking for newer artists who have more popular songs I recommend listening to Vandi, Pantelidis, Economidis and Garbi.

These are the best Greek dances for big groups!

I love Greek dancing, and my favourite Greek dances are the ones that are done in massive groups for weddings, baptisms, and birthday parties. The Greeks really know how to have fun and have everyone join in! My favorite group dances are...

1. Kalamatiano: This is the most classic group dance and probably this easiest one to do and join in on
2. Tsamiko: This is probably the second most popular dance!
3. Balos: Balos is pretty easy to learn and is done in pairs (great for weddings)
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter