1 - 4 of 4 Posts

nadellii

Registries are not a common phenomenon in Greece, and I’m not too sure why. Ever since I’ve been going to weddings, people wil just for envelopes of cash or checks. This is super normal in Greek culture and is considered much easier than either but gifts that people don’t need or setting up an entire registry. On top of that, many older Greek people are not super tech savvy and it would be difficult for them to navigate an online registry. Just something to know when attending any Greek weddings!

ellinasgolfer0320

You put your bank info at the bottom of your invitation and people either deposit money there, or as you said, they give you an envelope with money in it - usually €100

Last edited:
Reactions: nm1999

nm1999

You put your bank info at the bottom of your invitation and people either deposit money there, or as you said, they give you an envelope with money in it - usually €100
Agreed, depending on if you're going to be attending the reception or not, the amount of money you will pay may vary. Of course, depending on how close you are to the couple and how much you are able to afford yourself will play a big role.

k_tsoukalas

It is interesting how different the cultures are! I didn't realize people would give their bank account info and then wedding guests would deposit money. That's pretty cool, though!

How Do Greeks Celebrate Ohi Day?

I looked up Ohi Day resentful because I learned it was occurring soon. I find the history so interesting! I know that Greeks have the day off. I am wondering how Greeks typically celebrate it? The events surrounding the day seemed to represent Greece's ability to stand up for what was right and to resist the Axis forces. It was the right thing to do to not let the Axis enter Greece easily so that they can have a strategic place for their troops.

To celebrate this important part of history today, though, what do the Greeks do today?

Translating a few lines from English to Greek

Can anyone possibly help me translate a few lines into Greek? I used to be able to read and write Greek when I was a child, but these days I can barely read at all.

I have a few lines of Greek dialogue in a book I'm writing, and even though Google Translate does a reasonable job of translating English to Greek, from what I can make out, the translation doesn't look correct in the way a normal Greek would casually say the words - the translation just looks a little too formal. Could someone possibly take a look for me - it would only take a few minutes to read through the 3 - 4 lines?

Thanks

Greek Ships Christmas Tradition?

I have heard of the tradition of decorating boats in Greece for Christmas. I think it's called karakavi? Does anyone know anything more about it? This isn't a tradition my family adopted but I have heard of friends doing it. I am thinking of adding it to our holiday celebrations this year.

From what I can tell, people who don't have an actual boat decorate models of boats. At first, I thought based on pics I had seen of Greece in the past, that boat owners were just being festive. lol

Finding a Wedding Planner in Greece?

I decided to do a destination wedding in Greece. I mentioned in an earlier thread that I am not an Orthodox Christian but have decided on the Athens area because I think there are some great photo opportunities all over the city and it is a bit more accessible. Anyway, I know I need help getting everything organized. How does one go about finding a wedding planner in Greece who can help?

Greek Table Etiquette?

I haven't really thought of this, but there is a lot of etiquette for dining in the Greek culture. What do you guys think? It looks like there is a lot to think about:

In particular, the section on doing toasts was fascinating. I noticed that just about at every meal, someone is doing a toast. Do you guys have anything to add?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube