1 - 4 of 4 Posts

nadellii

Registries are not a common phenomenon in Greece, and I’m not too sure why. Ever since I’ve been going to weddings, people wil just for envelopes of cash or checks. This is super normal in Greek culture and is considered much easier than either but gifts that people don’t need or setting up an entire registry. On top of that, many older Greek people are not super tech savvy and it would be difficult for them to navigate an online registry. Just something to know when attending any Greek weddings!

ellinasgolfer0320

You put your bank info at the bottom of your invitation and people either deposit money there, or as you said, they give you an envelope with money in it - usually €100

Last edited:
Reactions: nm1999

nm1999

You put your bank info at the bottom of your invitation and people either deposit money there, or as you said, they give you an envelope with money in it - usually €100
Agreed, depending on if you're going to be attending the reception or not, the amount of money you will pay may vary. Of course, depending on how close you are to the couple and how much you are able to afford yourself will play a big role.

k_tsoukalas

It is interesting how different the cultures are! I didn't realize people would give their bank account info and then wedding guests would deposit money. That's pretty cool, though!

These are the most helpful Greek phrases!

Most Greek people, especially those in the tourist industry speak English so you don't really need to know a lot of Greek when travelling but I do recommend a few phrases. This video shows you the basics! Take some time to practice the pronunciation and you should be all set :) safe travels!

Buy an official IELTS|TOEFL certificate. ([email protected])

If you are planning to study, work or live abroad, IELTS can help you get there!

We provide requisite assistance to those who, for one reason or another cannot take the TOEFL, PTE, test or obtain the desired score demanded by institutions, employers, or embassies.👩‍🎓♻️

Contact via
Telegram: ............ Registraboard
0b.jpg

Do any of you have questions about Greek?

Do any of you have questions about Greek - speaking, reading, writing, listening, grammar, pronunciation, etc? I know some of you are learning online, and being able to ask specific questions isn't something you can always do. Greek can be confusing because words have multiple meaning - e.g. the word apo (από) has at least 5-10 different meanings - and the order of the words in a sentence can in any order you want. If you have any thing that might be confusing to you or you need some clarification on please ask away and I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Resources for Learning Greek Before Your Trip to Greece

It really does enhance your experience to learn some Greek, or brush up on your existing Greek, before you visit. I thought I would put together a list of some of the best resources I have found - they're all free.

- Duolingo has Greek now - I am not sure how effective it is, but it is free and that alone makes it worth checking out.
- Easy Greek on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/EasyGreekVideos - they have a lot of great content - I love how they interview people on the street
- Podcasts - There are plenty of learn Greek podcasts on both Spotify and through Apple and they are all worth checking out - For example, Easy Greek also has a podcast and there's a good one called "It's All Greek to Me". There are a lot of others.

In addition, you can check out various language programs (these aren't free). I like Pimsleur for conversational Greek, Rosetta Stone is pretty good, Mango, and there are others but those are the ones I have tried.

Which language programs have you used for Greek, and what were your results?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter