1 - 6 of 6 Posts

greggd12

Mastic resin is a specific type of mastic that is only grown on the island of Chios that is used for homeopathic medicine and for a variety of desserts and cooking. Mastichochoria which translates to mastic villages were built on the island as communities to surround the prized and valuable mastic trees. These mastic that comes from these trees are one of the biggest exports from the island and a big source of income for farmers and for exporters and store owners.

Deborah

The Mastichochoria in Chios is so unique, as is the flavor of this resin. I thought I’d tried everything flavored with mastic from chicken to ice cream, until I found mastic cocktails this past summer!

Reactions: seleanor

seleanor

The Mastichochoria in Chios is so unique, as is the flavor of this resin. I thought I’d tried everything flavored with mastic from chicken to ice cream, until I found mastic cocktails this past summer!
I love mastic cocktails!! They have the perfect balance of bitterness and sweetness!

k_tsoukalas

Mastic cocktails are delicious! I also just like to drink it straight, especially if it had been chilled.

lalajess

Mastic cocktails are delicious! I also just like to drink it straight, especially if it had been chilled.
I also like to cook with the resin - sometimes I will use it in place of vanilla powder to give the recipe a different flavor.

Reactions: blopez34

blopez34

I also like to cook with the resin - sometimes I will use it in place of vanilla powder to give the recipe a different flavor.
I love doing this, anytime someone eats my cooking when I put mastic instead of vanilla they they always love it but can never put their finger on the flavor

What is the process of having a political wedding in Greece?

I'm not sure if I'm going to be having a wedding in a church, so I am wondering what the process is of having a political or non-religious wedding in Greece. I know that the reception will be a classic reception, but is there someone who can officiate a wedding regardless of religion? And is this done for people who don't live in Greece?

This Greek Evzone was made in the USA!

This makes me so proud and happy to see that people are connecting with their heritage from miles away and willingly doing the military service to serve their country. Bravo to the soldier and those that are like him. I can't wait to go to Athens again and visit the tomb of the unknown soldier.

What are the most in demand jobs for Greek speakers?

I would love to leverage my Greek speaking ability in the job market and see where my skills can be most valuable in the future. I am still in school now, so I am not looking for a job quite yet but I am just curious what everyone else's experience has been. Is Greek a useful language to know outside of Greece?

What are your favorite wedding favors?

Traditional Greek weddings usually give wedding favors called koufeta, which are traditional chocolate candies. Nowadays, many people will skip the koufeta and have additional and more modern favors. I have seen small pots of honey or a small bottle of ouzo, which I thought was really nice. What are some Greek wedding favors that you have seen and that you have liked?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter