1 - 6 of 6 Posts

greggd12

Mastic resin is a specific type of mastic that is only grown on the island of Chios that is used for homeopathic medicine and for a variety of desserts and cooking. Mastichochoria which translates to mastic villages were built on the island as communities to surround the prized and valuable mastic trees. These mastic that comes from these trees are one of the biggest exports from the island and a big source of income for farmers and for exporters and store owners.

Deborah

The Mastichochoria in Chios is so unique, as is the flavor of this resin. I thought I’d tried everything flavored with mastic from chicken to ice cream, until I found mastic cocktails this past summer!

Reactions: seleanor

seleanor

The Mastichochoria in Chios is so unique, as is the flavor of this resin. I thought I’d tried everything flavored with mastic from chicken to ice cream, until I found mastic cocktails this past summer!
I love mastic cocktails!! They have the perfect balance of bitterness and sweetness!

k_tsoukalas

Mastic cocktails are delicious! I also just like to drink it straight, especially if it had been chilled.

lalajess

Mastic cocktails are delicious! I also just like to drink it straight, especially if it had been chilled.
I also like to cook with the resin - sometimes I will use it in place of vanilla powder to give the recipe a different flavor.

Reactions: blopez34

blopez34

I also like to cook with the resin - sometimes I will use it in place of vanilla powder to give the recipe a different flavor.
I love doing this, anytime someone eats my cooking when I put mastic instead of vanilla they they always love it but can never put their finger on the flavor

Koufeta or boubounieres are the most popular Greek wedding favors

Koufeta which are also called boubounieres are Greek wedding and baptism favors. They are usually nuts covered in chocolate and wrapped in soul with a ribbon. The candies are usually white or pastel colored. They are handed out as a favour at the end of the wedding or baptism, and as a way to say thank you or remember the wedding or baptism. I see more and more families being a bit more creative with their favorites. Last year I went to a wedding where a small jars of honey or hand it out, it was very neat.

Did you know that many Greek people dont have registries for their weddings?

Registries are not a common phenomenon in Greece, and I’m not too sure why. Ever since I’ve been going to weddings, people wil just for envelopes of cash or checks. This is super normal in Greek culture and is considered much easier than either but gifts that people don’t need or setting up an entire registry. On top of that, many older Greek people are not super tech savvy and it would be difficult for them to navigate an online registry. Just something to know when attending any Greek weddings!

What to do when you’re invited to a Greek persons house

For those who aren’t Greek, there is a lot of etiquette that goes behind visiting peoples houses. First off, it is considered very normal to invite someone over to your house. You don’t need to know them very well, and it is considered a kind gesture. When you get invited to someone’s house, expect them to offer you food, desserts, or drinks. It is also expected for you to bring something. This can be desserts or wine usually. After you leave their house, it is also customary for you to invite them to your own house.

What is this that we call love? Sung by Sophia Loren

This is one of the most iconic Greek songs from cinema. The lyrics translate to "what is this that we call love." It is sung by the famous Italian actress Sophia Loren in a very popular American movie called Boy on a Dolphin that is set in Greece. Her voice is absolutely incredible, and her Greek is even better. This is a true masterpiece that all hellenophiles should know about!

"Remember When" is a great Greek family tv show!

I just discovered this very cute and family oriented Greek tv sitcom called "Remember When" or "Ta Kalitera Mas Xronia" (our best years). The show follows a family from the perspective of a young boy and shows the trials and tribulations of a Greek family in the late 60's. The show touches on many important issues such as religion, finances and relationships. It's a great insight into what was going on in Greece at the time. You can watch the show for free here: https://www.ertflix.gr/en/series/ser.127653-ta-kalytera-mas-chronia
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter