1 - 2 of 2 Posts

efhernandez_

Prior to the Ancient Greeks, ancient ships would often throw large stones that were tied with ropes over the side of the boats to keep them steady. Even though this did work up to a point, it didn’t work all that well. No matter how heavy the stone was, it would still drift slightly in the ocean. The Ancient Greeks solved this problem by created the first real anchors, which they often referred to as “teeth”, or ὀδὁντες in the original Greek. These first anchors were made from buckets that were filled with stones. These buckets would grab onto the dirt at the ocean floor, thus keeping the ship in plate. Because each ship had several of these anchors, it made the ship even steadier. Even when there was a place to tie the boat to, the anchors were still used to provide extra stability.

k_tsoukalas

This is awesome! They were so innovative. Most of us don't realize how much of an impact the ancient Greeks had on us, even today.

What a win! Italy returns Greek Parthenon marbles

This is so exciting! Italy has just returned some fragments of marble from the Parthenon that originally belonged to Greece. This is a result of discussions that have been happening in the UK for quite some time. I am happy to see that Italy is taking quick action, hopefully the UK will use this as inspiration to take a final push and return all of the marbles that rightfully belong to Greece.

Need Genealogy help

Trying to trace my Greek genealogy. My great grandfather first came to the US in the 1890s and settled in Lynn MA. I have found it challenging to find greek records because of name changes when they came to the US. My great grandfather, Elias Gouzoules was from Georgitsi Greece. I believe he was born in the 1870s and died in Lynn MA in 1944. I know his father was a Priest in the village. I think his name was Panayotis Gouzoules (my grandfather was named Panayotis Winston Elias born 1901-1982) I believe my great grandfather had 13 siblings. I would love to be able to get names of his mother, siblings etc and if there are any relatives still living in Greece, birth and death dates etc. I have also heard that Panayotis Gouzoules' dad fought in the rebellion. I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have! Thank you! Sarah
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter