1 - 8 of 8 Posts

nadellii

Many people think that wine is for those with expensive taste. The reality is that you can find amazing wines at extremely low prices if you search in the right places. You can get ones that cost as low as four euros at your local supermarket and convenient store in Greece. If you’re traveling on a budget to Greece this year, I highly recommend that you opt for store-bought wine instead of ordering a bottle or glass at restaurants for example. There’s nothing better than getting a few snacks and wine from the grocery store and setting up a picnic on the beach.

Reactions: Hash and Vangelis
It's also cheap at restaurants where you can order the house wine by the 1/2L or 1L.

Reactions: Hash
It's also cheap at restaurants where you can order the house wine by the 1/2L or 1L.
Pame ta pumey ligo mey Mezedes!?.... Kalley Mera from Thailand and Monsoons....vargemey vroigi.. kathe mera nightaah!!
😂😂

Reactions: Vangelis
When I buy Greek wine in the United States, it's always pricey. I'd imagine because of the costs of transport, taxes, etc? It makes sense that quality wines in Greece are considerably less expensive, especially when they're local. I love shopping at the markets to have food to eat while out and about - like a picnic on the beach is perfect! It's a lot of pressure to feel like you have to keep eating out several times a day.

When I buy Greek wine in the United States, it's always pricey. I'd imagine because of the costs of transport, taxes, etc? It makes sense that quality wines in Greece are considerably less expensive, especially when they're local. I love shopping at the markets to have food to eat while out and about - like a picnic on the beach is perfect! It's a lot of pressure to feel like you have to keep eating out several times a day.
The best time for us who used to work in blistering heat all summer day in day out without a day off nonstop 7 months was to make a picnic of fresh bread olives, different kinds of cheeses,cold Mezedes like fava, Taramasalata,Tzadsiki,Meliztzana,fasuolia and gallons of wine 😂😂🍷🍷......go somewhere peaceful in Mykonos....yes there are secluded beaches where no one goes!!!!....😂😂😂.....Ella Tora....it is not even 8am here in Thailand and I am hungry already.....The winters months were very special, hiking in the hills for hours with backpacks full of Food and wine 🍷...... Hmmmmm I miss Ellada very much sometimes.. but can't have everything..... our life is very beautiful here in Thailand too!.... Kalley Mera..
Ps:We used to buy wine from the wholesalers who supplied Tavernas and bars.....Cheap.... around €10 for 5ltr white@11% and €14 very good quality red@12%.....And rosé for €12 @11%..... drink forever!😂😂🍷🍷?😋

Last edited:
A beach picnic with some grocery store wine and snacks sounds like the ultimate vacation move. Sometimes, the simplest pleasures offer the most satisfaction. Speaking of affordable wine enjoyment, for those who are back home and missing those cheap but delightful Greek wines, why not consider making your own? I found some interesting home brew kit options that make it easy to get started. It could be a fun way to continue your Greek-inspired wine adventures long after your trip has ended.

Last edited:
I had no idea wine in Greece could be so affordable. I've always had this misconception that good wine equals big bucks. But hearing about those four euro bottles makes me rethink everything!

I recently had the chance to explore Greece on a budget, and let me tell you, the wine scene there is an absolute gem. It's not just about saving a few bucks; it's the whole experience. Picture this: grabbing a bottle of wine for a few euros from a local store, pairing it with some delicious snacks, and heading down to the beach for a sunset picnic. It's pure bliss! Speaking of great wine experiences, if you ever find yourself in restaurants olympic park, you've got to check out Bacar restaurant. I know we're talking about Greece here, but trust me, Bacar knows how to elevate your wine game. They've got an incredible selection that complements their tasty dishes perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Last-minute travel tips in Greece

I love to travel to Greece and I do so whenever I can. There's an art to it, though, and I am never really going into it "blind". It's a good idea to start by thinking generally about where you might want to go.

Athens is usually the starting point for most travelers, with its iconic Acropolis offering panoramic views and a history lesson all in one spot. If you're a beach lover, head towards the Cyclades for stunning beaches and the classic, postcard-worthy Santorini sunsets. Or, if it's history you're after, the ruins of Delphi or the ancient city of Mycenae will surely captivate you.

Then, we need to figure out how to get where we want to go. For island hopping, the ferries are an experience in themselves – though if you're time-strapped, consider a local flight to get you to the major islands quickly. On the mainland, a mix of car rentals and public transport can be efficient and economical, especially when visiting sites off the tourist map. Keep an eye on the schedules and book in advance if possible to save time.

Sometimes I rent a car, to be honest it's the easiest for me.

The rest of the details tend to sort themselves out. For example, you can book your lodging as you go along, especially off-peak.

Tips for Traveling to Greece on a Budget

Traveling to Greece is a dream for many, conjuring images of stunning beaches, ancient ruins, and vibrant Mediterranean culture. However, experiencing the wonders Greece has to offer doesn’t have to break the bank. Let's face it - it can be expensive to get there - especially if you are traveling from outside of Europe and during peak season. Keeping these tips in mind, though, can help you cut costs.

1. Travel During the Off-Peak Season

One of the best ways to save money while traveling to Greece is by going during the off-peak season, which is typically from October to April. Not only will you benefit from lower prices in flights and accommodations, but you'll also escape the heavy tourist crowds, allowing for a more authentic experience of Greece's beauty and culture.

2. Opt for Lesser-Known Destinations

While Athens, Mykonos, and Santorini are must-visit destinations, Greece is filled with hidden gems that are often overlooked. Consider visiting the Peloponnese region, Meteora, or even the northern part of the country, like Thessaloniki and the Chalkidiki Peninsula. These areas offer breathtaking views, historical sites, and genuine interactions with local culture at a fraction of the cost.

3. Use Public Transportation

Greece’s public transportation system is both efficient and affordable. Ferries can take you between islands at a good rate, especially if you book in advance. On land, buses and trains connect major cities and regions. Utilizing these options instead of renting a car or taking flights can significantly reduce your travel costs.

4. Savor Local Eats

Another great way to save while indulging in the richness of Greek culture is through its cuisine. Avoid tourist traps and opt for where the locals eat. Tavernas and street food vendors offer delicious and authentic Greek food for much less than restaurants in high-traffic tourist areas. Don’t skip on trying the gyros, souvlaki, and the myriad of seafood options.

5. Stay in Budget Accommodations

Greece offers a wide array of budget-friendly accommodations, ranging from hostels to budget hotels and Airbnb listings. Booking in advance can secure you a better deal, especially if traveling during the peak season. Consider staying in a location slightly off the beaten path; you might discover a quaint neighborhood or a breathtaking beach that’s not swarmed by tourists.

Traveling to Greece on a budget is more than feasible with a bit of planning and some savvy travel hacks. By following these tips, you can immerse yourself in the rich history, stunning landscapes, and warm hospitality Greece is renowned for, all while keeping your expenses in check. Remember, the essence of travel is not in how much you spend, but in the experiences you gather and the memories you create.

Sustainable Travel to Greece?

I'm currently planning a trip to Greece and am passionate about making my travel as sustainable and eco-friendly as possible. Given the beauty and historical significance of Greece, I want to ensure that my visit contributes positively to the environment and local communities there.

Does anyone have any tips or experiences they could share on sustainable travel practices in Greece? I'm looking for advice on everything from eco-friendly accommodations, sustainable dining options, to ways of exploring the country that minimize my carbon footprint. Also, if there are specific activities or tours that support local conservation efforts or communities, I'd love to hear about those too!

Pack List for Trip to Greece in Spring

I have a trip to Greece planned in the spring. Mainly, I want advice on the weather. In the meantime, I made my best guess and came up with a list. Anything to add or subtract?

Clothing
  • A light rain jacket or windbreaker: For the inevitable April showers
  • A couple of long-sleeve shirts: For those cooler mornings
  • A lightweight sweater: For layering when temperature changes
  • A pair of comfortable pants: Think breathable fabrics like cotton, and a pair of jeans.
  • Shorts and a sundress: For warmer afternoons
  • Comfortable walking shoes: You’ll be exploring villages and ancient ruins, so cushioned soles are a must.
Accessories
  • A versatile scarf: Can double as a shawl on cooler evenings
  • A wide-brimmed hat: For sun protection
  • Sunglasses and sunscreen: Essential for beach days
  • Reusable water bottle: To stay hydrated without contributing more waste

Parnassos Ski Resort in Greece

Believe it or not, I find skiing in Greece to be pleasant. I know Greece isn't thought to have a climate good enough for skiing, but it's good enough. I have to go to Greece soon, and this is one of my favorite places to ski:

The resort offers outstanding skiing opportunities for all skill levels, from beginners to advanced skiers. With over 40 kilometers of marked ski slopes, Parnassos Ski Resort is equipped with the newest and most advanced skiing equipment to ensure that customers enjoy an unforgettable experience.

There is also a place to stay here, which is nice, plus activities other than skiing to please the family.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back