1 - 7 of 7 Posts

acamp7

You'd be shocked to find out that you can go skiing in Greece, and not only skiing in Greece, but skiing in one of graces most beautiful islands, Crete! There is a beautiful snow range called Lefka Ori that is gaining a lot of tourists lately. One of the best things about travelling to Crete in the spring is that there are a lot less tourists and the prices will be great! I wish I could check it out but I am trapped because of the omicron variant, maybe next year!

nadellii

I’ve heard of psiloritis as well!

Reactions: francescool

greekgal77

I have heard this, but I have been to Crete during this time of year. That sounds so fun! Maybe some day I will be able to go to Crete when the skiing is still going on.

Reactions: francescool

francescool

Looks amazing!!

The Local Favour

More trivia coming: Did you know there is an abandoned ski resort on Mt Psiloritis near Anogeia village?
Also, there is alpine ski competition organised by a Greek company that gains popularity and probably will be hosted around to the old resort when it is finally revamped.

Reactions: greek_ggirl

greek_ggirl

More trivia coming: Did you know there is an abandoned ski resort on Mt Psiloritis near Anogeia village?
Also, there is alpine ski competition organised by a Greek company that gains popularity and probably will be hosted around to the old resort when it is finally revamped.
Can't wait to see it revamped! Ive been waiting for a very long time :)

k_tsoukalas

I am kind of shocked. Even though I have heard that one can ski in Greece I had a hard time picturing it. I usually visit Greece and find the nearest beach. LOL

What is Cretan Cuisine Like?

As I have been researching Greek food, culture, and recipes I came across information about the cuisine of the island of Crete, which looks to be a bit different than the rest of Greece. Is my impression true? Here are some of my observations:

** The food is ultra fresh and most people eat seasonally. I know, this is typical of all of Greece, but the climate on Crete makes the food supply pretty diverse so it stands out with this island

** The cuisine seems to have had influences from various places through the centuries, both because of various groups occupying Greece, such as Venetian and Ottoman, and also because of trade and its location - the island is pretty far south

** There are some interesting and unique food specialties, like dakos, koukouvagio (some type of salad), and other food items...

So, when traveling to Crete it looks like the cuisine is a big part of those travels. What do you guys think? Any other advice you can give? I think I might go to Crete in the near future to explore these ideas.

Fun Things to Do in Crete that Involve the Outdoors?

I already decided to visit the Samaria Gorge. I won't do the whole hike, but rather hike into the gorge from the village.

Now, I am looking for some other experiences to do that involve the outdoors? I know that Crete is so pretty, and I want to spend some time in nature while on the island.

Cretan agriculture is top notch!

Crete has developed some of the most innovative agricultural technology to support their booming business and exports. The majority of Crete's exports are agricultural, and namely olive oil. Many of Crete's natural resources such as water are cultivated to support the industry, almost 80% of Crete's water is used for agriculture. These farmers are just one example of what the island is doing to sustain themselves.

Visiting Theriso on Crete.. Advice?

Lately I have heard so much about Theriso and how great it is, particularly the food. It seems like it is a "must visit" on Crete. What do you guys think? Do you have any advice for me? I have been looking into Cretan cuisine and wanting to collect information for my next trip to Greece.

What to do in Hersonissos Crete

Hersonissos is a great town that is located just outside of Heraklion, which is one of the main cities in Crete. The best place to visit is the Roman archeological remains, which have been left since the 7th century by the Roman Empire. The ruins have ancient burial grounds, baths and workshops. I also recommend visiting Lychnostatis Open Air Museum and Labyrinth Park, both are great places to take your family as well.
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube