1 - 3 of 3 Posts

mastichas09

I love horiatiki when I go to Greece - but I also noticed other types of salads being served.

Do they have names?

I tried one or two of them and most of them involved greens - like lettuce, etc.

Are they just the invention of the restaurant or are they common dishes? I guess it's hard to truly know unless I can share examples from restaurants, but Id didn't think to take pics last time I was in Greece.

They don't have names, except for what you see on the menu.

My favorite salads always have arugula (they call it ρόκα / rocket) shaved parmasean, and some kind of sweet dressing on top.

Reactions: k_tsoukalas
They don't have names, except for what you see on the menu.

My favorite salads always have arugula (they call it ρόκα / rocket) shaved parmasean, and some kind of sweet dressing on top.
I also noticed in Greece they serve salads based on what's available. So, there really aren't names, just ingredients they have. The menu might call it a green salad or something, but the greens and other ingredients change. People ordered them a fair amount, at least in the parts of Greece I've been.

That ρόκα salad sounds amazing - I make something similar at home.

What is Greek Retsina Wine?

I'm intrigued by Greek wines and recently came across Retsina wine. Could anyone share insights into what Retsina wine is? I'm curious about its unique flavor profile, production methods, and any cultural significance it holds in Greece. How is it traditionally enjoyed, and are there specific dishes it pairs well with?

Moreover, I'd appreciate recommendations on notable brands or regions known for producing quality Retsina. If you have any personal experiences with Retsina or tips on where to purchase it outside of Greece, that would be fantastic too.

Typical Greek Breakfast Foods?

I'm curious to learn more about Greek cuisine, specifically breakfast foods. What are some typical breakfast items that people in Greece enjoy? I've heard a bit about yogurt and honey, but I'd love to know more about other traditional options.

Would anyone be kind enough to share their experiences or insights?

Looking forward to reading your responses and learning more. I am a Greek Canadian and I noticed while in Greece that they don't make a big deal of breakfast. Is it just a small meal eaten fast? I tend to eat bigger breakfasts.

Recipe for Grilled Hallloumi Cheese

I love to grill and this recipe is simple and easy, and complements most grilled meals very well! I serve this with a squeeze of lemon.

Ingredients:

• 8 oz (225 g) halloumi cheese
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Optional: a pinch of chili flakes
  • Fresh herbs (parsley, mint, or dill) for garnish
  • Lemon wedges for serving
Instructions:

1. Prepare the Halloumi:
    • Remove the halloumi cheese from its packaging and pat it dry with a paper towel.
    • Cut the halloumi into 1/2-inch thick slices.
  2. Marinate the Cheese:
    • In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, dried oregano, lemon juice, and a sprinkle of black pepper (and chili flakes if using).
    • Brush both sides of the halloumi slices with the olive oil mixture. Let it sit for about 10 minutes to absorb the flavors.
  3. Preheat the Grill:
    • Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. If using a grill pan, heat it over medium-high heat until hot.
  4. Grill the Halloumi:
    • Place the marinated halloumi slices on the grill or grill pan.
    • Grill for about 2-3 minutes on each side, until the cheese is golden brown and has grill marks. Be careful not to overcook, as halloumi can become rubbery if left on the grill for too long.

How to perfectly grill souvlaki?

I'm planning to grill some souvlaki this weekend, and I want to make sure I get it just right. I've heard that the key to perfect souvlaki is all in the marinade and grilling technique. Does anyone have any tried-and-true tips or recipes they'd be willing to share?

Specifically, I'm looking for advice on:
  • Marinade ingredients and timing: How long should I marinate the meat, and what are the essential ingredients?
  • Grilling technique: What's the best way to achieve that perfect char without drying out the meat?
  • Skewers: Any tips on the best type of skewers to use? Should I soak wooden ones?
  • Sides and sauces: What are your favorite accompaniments to serve with souvlaki?
I appreciate any help you can offer!

Summer fruits in Greek cuisine?

I'm curious about the use of summer fruits in Greek cuisine.

What traditional dishes or recipes incorporate these fruits? Are there specific fruits that are more commonly used during the summer months?

When in Greece, I see people eating fruit plain, making a spoon sweet or a marmalade, but that's about it. Oh, and I do see that they eat a salad with watermelon, feta, and onions. Is there anything else? What fruits are in season?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back