1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nadellii

I’m asking becasue I went to a wedding in Thailand last year and they did not have a registry since it wasn’t customary in their culture. Is this the same for weddings in Greece? I had no idea that registries are probably an American thing. But now that I think of it…it does sound pretty American to me! I’ve had a few Greek American friends get married in the states but most of them had registries. What is customary in Greece?

ellinasgolfer0320

No, registries aren't used in Greece. The custom is that 1. you send out invitation 1-2 months in advance of the wedding (no save-the-dates at all) and 2. you put your bank account number at the bottom of the invitation and people deposit money into your bank account. If you don't do that then they'll just give you money at the wedding reception.

k_tsoukalas

Registries aren't commonplace in Greece. It's pretty typical to give the bride and groom money, and not many gifts are given.

What is considered taboo in Greek culture?

Every culture has their taboos and stuff that isn't really talked about or normalized. I am wondering what is considered taboo in Greece, and what I should avoid bringing up, or maybe only bring up with caution. Or if there's anything that I should avoid doing because I don't wanna offend anyone. Thank you so much, your advice is very much appreciated. I think it's very important to know these things before travelling to any country!

Are there any good Greek podcasts to listen to?

I've been trying to pick up on more and more Greek and I think that listening to podcasts would really help. I listen to podcasts every day on my way to work, and I would love to start listening to some Greek ones as well. I've been learning a bit of Greek here and there since I am planning on retiring in Greece soon. Does anyone have any podcast that they could recommend? I don't really mind what the podcast is about, I have a pretty varied taste. Thanks!

Did you know about the Greek New Years tradition of hanging onions on doors?

In Greece, there are many different New Year's traditions and some of them vary by location and the specific culture of the region. Most of them bring good luck and health for the new year, especially this onion tradition. Across all of Greece, families will hang a yellow onion on their door as a symbol of good luck. They will usually do this after the church service on New Year's Day. While not all families do this, you may see it next time you visit Greece in January, look out for it!

What are your favorite wedding favors?

Traditional Greek weddings usually give wedding favors called koufeta, which are traditional chocolate candies. Nowadays, many people will skip the koufeta and have additional and more modern favors. I have seen small pots of honey or a small bottle of ouzo, which I thought was really nice. What are some Greek wedding favors that you have seen and that you have liked?

What is the process of having a political wedding in Greece?

I'm not sure if I'm going to be having a wedding in a church, so I am wondering what the process is of having a political or non-religious wedding in Greece. I know that the reception will be a classic reception, but is there someone who can officiate a wedding regardless of religion? And is this done for people who don't live in Greece?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter