1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nadellii

I’m asking becasue I went to a wedding in Thailand last year and they did not have a registry since it wasn’t customary in their culture. Is this the same for weddings in Greece? I had no idea that registries are probably an American thing. But now that I think of it…it does sound pretty American to me! I’ve had a few Greek American friends get married in the states but most of them had registries. What is customary in Greece?

ellinasgolfer0320

No, registries aren't used in Greece. The custom is that 1. you send out invitation 1-2 months in advance of the wedding (no save-the-dates at all) and 2. you put your bank account number at the bottom of the invitation and people deposit money into your bank account. If you don't do that then they'll just give you money at the wedding reception.

k_tsoukalas

Registries aren't commonplace in Greece. It's pretty typical to give the bride and groom money, and not many gifts are given.

The best fathers day gifts for your Greek dads, godfathers, uncles and grandfathers!

It's that time of year again! And so many people don't know what to get their father figures. Here is a list of a few examples that I have compiled and gifted throughout the years. Let me know what you think!

-A coffee cup set
-Tavli board
-Cigars
-Whiskey
-Soccer jersey
-Handwritten note
-Photo album
-Headphones
-A nice koboloi, you can find some great ones online or buy them from a Greek store. Here is an Esty shop that sells them and ships internationally https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/491...0OfCQpfZurgBrcOYXCnzO4xJ-nIWFNYxoCIXUQAvD_BwE

"Remember When" is a great Greek family tv show!

I just discovered this very cute and family oriented Greek tv sitcom called "Remember When" or "Ta Kalitera Mas Xronia" (our best years). The show follows a family from the perspective of a young boy and shows the trials and tribulations of a Greek family in the late 60's. The show touches on many important issues such as religion, finances and relationships. It's a great insight into what was going on in Greece at the time. You can watch the show for free here: https://www.ertflix.gr/en/series/ser.127653-ta-kalytera-mas-chronia

What is this that we call love? Sung by Sophia Loren

This is one of the most iconic Greek songs from cinema. The lyrics translate to "what is this that we call love." It is sung by the famous Italian actress Sophia Loren in a very popular American movie called Boy on a Dolphin that is set in Greece. Her voice is absolutely incredible, and her Greek is even better. This is a true masterpiece that all hellenophiles should know about!

When everyone has the same name, you gotta have some nicknames!

In Greece, many many people will have the same names. It is common to meet 4 Yannis, Yorgos, Konstantinas, and Marias in one day! Because of this, and because Greeks are affectionate, we like to have many nicknames for the ones we love. Check out this video which hilariously shows all of the different nicknames (serious and silly) that Greek people will call each other.

Should I still get a gift if I cant make it to the wedding?

I was invited to a Greek wedding this summer, but unfortunately I am unable to go because my work schedule is just a bit too hectic. The couple has a registry, which makes me wonder if I should still get a gift even if I'm not able to go to the wedding. Does anyone know what the expectation or custom is for a Greek weddings? The couple is from the United States, but they are both Greek American and having their wedding in Greece. I am super bummed out that I am missed, and I would say that I'm relatively close to the groom, we worked together previously.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter